Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Easy Ways to Remember Portion Sizes

Posted by   + Show Post

As we entered the school doors to kick-off another school year, it was hard not to miss it. Every kid in my daughter's first grade class had grown at least a few inches over the summer. Chatting with other moms, it seems all of our children had three things in mind during their vacations: growing, playing, and eating.

Sure, growing kids need more food, but doctors and professional nutritionists will tell you that doesn't mean piling gigantic mounds of food onto their plates. We still need to dole out a proper portion size. Not only is it important so we know how much they are eating, it also teaches them -- in this era of mega-sized portions and "bigger is better" mantras -- an awareness of what the right serving size looks like.

I've found it's so easy to get off track with this element of dinner prep. I can't remember what four ounces of meat looks like, and I definitely don't have time to break out the food scale to weigh each chicken breast. That's why I love those measurement guides that give you an everyday item to guesstimate a proper portion. Not only is it easy for me to use, Kiddo can use it too. We've been playing the "What is equal to what?" game lately, re-enforcing good serving size habits for her and me. Here's the main list I have tacked on the fridge:

1/4 cup of anything is about the size of a large egg

1 cup of most things is the size of a baseball

1/2 cup of cooked pasta or rice - a computer mouse

1/2 cup of beans - a light bulb

1/2 cup of veggies - an ice-scream scooper

2 tbsp of butter or peanut butter or mayo - a Ping-Pong ball

2-3 oz of fish - a checkbook

2-3 oz of meat or chicken - a deck of cards

2 oz of cheese - a mini pile of 3 dominoes

How do you remember the proper serving sizes? Share your tricks to "eyeball" that scoop or slice!

©iStockphoto.com/smiltena

by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Replies (41-50):
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Good for you!

Quoting strictmomhere:

I used to eat huge portions till had Gastric bypass now i focus on protein very little carbs I'm down 90 pounds

MichelleK41
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Oh I like this list, thanks for sharing!

strictmomhere
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Thanks

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Good for you!

Quoting strictmomhere:

I used to eat huge portions till had Gastric bypass now i focus on protein very little carbs I'm down 90 pounds

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM
We made chicken strips we each got 1 they were pretty big:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Good idea

Quoting slw123:

I'm not good on portion sizes.  I just try to make sure everyone eats more vegetables than anything else.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
strictmomhere
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:15 PM
My son lost weight at 5

Quoting sukainah:

That's a good list.  I need to work on the portion control more.  My youngest went to his 5 year check up and had lost weight, so I think I need to work on that.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Charizma77
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM

I agree

Quoting pootersmomi:

This is a great reference list.

Sisteract
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:44 PM

TFS

sukainah
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Hmmm, I wonder why?  Mine is rather picky so maybe that is why.  I don't know but the doctor didn't seem to concerned.

Quoting strictmomhere:

My son lost weight at 5

Quoting sukainah:

That's a good list.  I need to work on the portion control more.  My youngest went to his 5 year check up and had lost weight, so I think I need to work on that.

strictmomhere
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:42 PM
My son was put on pediasure

Quoting sukainah:

Hmmm, I wonder why?  Mine is rather picky so maybe that is why.  I don't know but the doctor didn't seem to concerned.

Quoting strictmomhere:

My son lost weight at 5

Quoting sukainah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN