Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

How to Save When Booking Your Winter Family Vacation

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM
  • 54 Replies
1 mom liked this

by The Stir Bloggers

We know, you’re just getting the kids back to school and you refuse to admit that summer is nearing its end. But now is the time families are booking their November and December holiday trips, believe it or not.

If you want your trips to see loved ones filled with ho, ho, ho laughter and not "harrumph, there’s no money left for presents" tears, you should probably keep reading.

See, there’s a science to finding the best air fares. Mark Drusch, CheapOair’s chief supplier relations officer, says Monday or Tuesday morning, between 8 a.m. and 9 a.m. ET, is the best time to find cheaper flights, because airlines have updated their inventories overnight.

Some more tips:

1. If you’re booking a trip for four, be sure to search for individual or two seat pairings, as well."There might only be two seats left at the cheaper price," Drusch says, "but if you search for four seats, you’ll only get the higher price. So, there’s a chance you could at least get two of your flights for less. It means more work, but it can add up to a lot of savings."
  2. Use comparison sites. "You can compare everything across the board immediately," he says, adding that agents are always available to help you across all the airlines -- not just one.
  3. Sign up your children for frequent flier programs. "If your kids fly at least once a year on the same airline, your kids' miles will continue to be active and grow," Drusch says. "And it costs you nothing."
  4. Looking to save on airline baggage fees? Consider getting an airline-affiliated credit card. "With the bigger carriers --United, Delta, etc. -- if you have their credit card you usually get one bag free," Drusch says, adding that other airlines will make you pay for checked bags regardless.

Do you have any tips for saving on family vacations?

Image via Tax Credits/Flickr

by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DNewman
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM

Our trips tend to be closer to home so booking flights never falls into this. But we usually have a vacation fund. We set money into from time to time.

EmptyNestMama
by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM

We usualy do the websites, looking for the best deals, and sometimes being last minute can save us a lot!

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Sep. 27, 2013 at 8:02 PM

I usually check prices on Expedia.com.

Madelaine
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Good ideas!

matt_sara_mom
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

I love these tips, we are a day vacation family so we look for off season times to visit our more expensive favorite places.

Sisteract
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM

We use 3 and 4- and m hubs flies so much for business I can fly for free on a couple of airlines.

jen113000
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:43 PM
We usually use our tax money to book our vacations.
Desirae1394
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM
I never thought of checking for one or two seats at a time.
krys1025
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 9:33 PM
We check daily and compare sites. I'm looking currently for tickets for my parents so that's a great tip on booking on Mondays or Tuesdays :)
kellynh
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Great tips on flights

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN