Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Everyday Games that Flex Math Muscles

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 57 Replies
1 mom liked this

It's tough to fit it all in: homework, playtime, errands, afterschool activities. At any given moment, I'm always feeling a bit pulled. Anyone else with me? Since Kiddo has been in school, I'm always wondering if we are doing enough at home - reading for long enough, practicing skills as we should, exercising enough...you know, the usual Mom woes.

That's why I loved what her kindergarten teachers would always remind us to do: use the world as her school. Everywhere we go, whether running errands or just playing at home, discover fun ways to tap into mental muscles. Lately, we've been tackling those math skills like addition, subtraction, good number sense,  you get the idea. Luckily, there are so many ways just living and playing can exercise math muscles.

Break out the board games and puzzles. You may not think playing Sorry! or Crazy 8s is doing math, but it is. Whether counting spaces or comparing and contrasting numbers, board games and card games that use numbers as a base (instead of colors) give a huge boost to those math skills. Same with puzzles - figuring out what piece goes where enforces spacial reasoning.

Play store. Setting up a pet shop or restaurant in her room and having pretend money to spend is a perfect backdrop to slip in math games. If she wants to buy five stuffed kitties and they each cost two dollars, how much money does she need?

Watch sports. While watching your favorite football team play on Sunday or rooting for big brother as he plays baseball on Thursday, incorporate some math fun into your rah-rah-rahs. If New Orleans has 13 points and Drew Brees scores a touchdown for six, what's their score now?

Guessimate it! When heading up and down the aisles of the supermarket, have the kids guess how much the total cost of the groceries will be. Call out prices and see if they can keep a running tally in their minds.

What math games do your kids like to play?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Destonian 

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 7:46 AM

They like to play restaurant.  I bought them a receipt booklet at Walmart.  They make a menu with prices, take our order and then give us the receipt.

goddess99
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:16 AM
1 mom liked this

We play yahtzee sometimes, but the kind of math my dd is doing in school is already beyond me. There isn't a game that's going to help =(

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Fun!  My dd would love doing that!

Quoting TerriC:

They like to play restaurant.  I bought them a receipt booklet at Walmart.  They make a menu with prices, take our order and then give us the receipt.

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM

We play board games, do puzzles and play store.

TerriC
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

It is really fun actually!  Cute to see them pretend cook too!  LOL

Quoting lalasmama2007:

Fun!  My dd would love doing that!

Quoting TerriC:

jen113000
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
That's cute!

Quoting TerriC:

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM

board games and puzzels 

matt_sara_mom
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Everything we play with turns into something to do with numbers. One of my toddlers favorite "games" is to roll dice and tell me the numbers. 

SweetLuci
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:06 AM

My son's math teacher suggested playing card games, like rummy and poker. It worked out great.

virginiamama71
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

all of these my son liked to play.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)