Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

My Top Housewarming Gift Ideas

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

"The house shelters day-dreams, the house protects the dreamer, the house allows one to dream in peace." -- Gaston Bachelard

My dad was in the Air Force, so we moved around a bit when I was growing up, so we had many a new home. To force her to unpack the boxes and get settled as quickly as she could, my mom would always plan a party about a month after we arrived. Nothing gets you to hang those pictures and put stuff into those closets faster than knowing you will have guests to entertain and cook for in just a few weeks.

Though Mom never thought of it when she planned these events, folks would arrive bearing some sort of gift. Bottles of wine, food, and plants were all at the top of the "housewarming items most given" list. And then there were a few traditional tokens that mean something, I remember seeing a pot of honey, with a tag that read: "Always enjoy the sweetness of life!" and a cute container of salt, with a card attached saying, "So life may always have flavor!".

I love giving gifts, searching for something the recipient will really use. What tops my "housewarming items most given" list? Here are a few of my favorites!

-- A personalized cutting board. One of the most used tools in the kitchen, a cutting board never goes out of style. So many are out these days -- you can even personalize them with a date or monogram!
-- Fire extinguisher. Right, not the most elegant gift, but think about it. It could be the most practical, yet important item you could give to your new neighbors or loved ones making a fresh start in a new abode.
-- A tree. Okay, so not the best option for someone in an apartment and it may seem odd sauntering up the walkway with a tree, but it's a great housewarming present for families. They can take pictures next to it and see how it and their kiddos grow over the years.
-- A neutral wreath. Add some orange and red ribbon and pinecones, and it's Fall. Maybe decorate it with green and gold for Winter. Perhaps switch it to blues and some faux eggs for Spring. A wreath is so easily transformed season to season, holiday to holiday, it's a perfect gift for any home.
-- A set of specialty mugs. Everyone loves a good mug, so why not present them with new ones for their new home? Think holiday mugs or ones that are extra big to hold soup or oatmeal. Pair them with some tea and coffee for a no-fail, sure-to-work-for-every-family gift.

What do you love to give as a housewarming gift?

ŠiStockphoto.com/ Tashka

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellynh
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I like to do handmade gifts, crafty things. Of course, you'd have to know the person well to go this route!! 

4kidz916
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:04 AM

I don't give too many housewarming gifts but I like to give a nice plant for the new home.

johnny4ever
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM

Candles

Miranda1127
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:34 AM

cute ideas

jen113000
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Usually a gift card. But these are great ideas!
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I don't give a lot of housewarming gifts.  

Miranda1127
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I LOVE handmade gifts too.

Quoting kellynh:

I like to do handmade gifts, crafty things. Of course, you'd have to know the person well to go this route!! 

Miranda1127
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I don't think I have ever given a housewarming gift.

virginiamama71
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I have only given one housewarming gift. A houseplant. My brother said it is still going strong. :-)

mrswillie
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Yeah know...I have never been to a house warming party, except my own.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)