Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

When you are having a rough day... or even just any day.... how do you stay a positive mom? Do you read books, blogs, talk to friends, pray, say a mantra, eat chocolate....?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Replies (21-28):
brittany208
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

and youre getting ready for homeschooling already?

Quoting momofnancy:

She's our only child. I hope to have one more in the future. :)

Quoting brittany208:

aww cute. is she your only child or do you have others?

Quoting momofnancy:

She is 18 months today. :) 

Quoting brittany208:

cute! how old is she? 

Quoting momofnancy:

It's all about my little girl including her daily educational lessons, preparing for homeschooling, teaching Nancy about God, photos, monthly developmental updates, etc. Thanks for asking.

Quoting brittany208:

(by the way, you have to hit the "quote" button for people to see that you replied to them)

i dont have a shutterfly account... :(

what do you blog about though?

Quoting momofnancy:

I do, but you have to have a shutterfly.com account. :)

momofnancy
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:38 AM

I don't think it's ever too early to start research and developing ideas. At 3 years old, we'll have Nancy attend a church in town that offers preschool three times a week, but I want to be sure that I am doing my part before that happens so we do a lot of educational activities already throughout the day. For instance, I have a "Letter of the Week". We are studying the letter D. Each day, we address the letter of the day with pictures of things that start with the letter. We sing the phonics letter song. D is for dog da da dog. We also use starfall.com to look at the particular letter over a fun learning course. We do a "Color of the Week" too. I will point out things throughout the day that are that color. I will ask her to do the same. Since 3 months old, she has been doing the Brillkids Little Reader courses. If interested, you can visit brillkids.com for more information. She does two short lessons per day, and they take about 2 minutes each. We do crafts, song and dance, stories, etc. This is my sample schedule below. When she turns 2 in April, then we'll move to abcmouse.com. We are almost done with Brillkids, so far she can say over 30 words at 18 months. Before she was born, I wore the BabyPlus device that provided rhymic patterns that was supposed to teach her in the womb. I didn't have very good education going up, so it's one of my top priorities. I understand that others don't agree with my way of doing things which is completely fine, but if you are interested, then I love talking about it. 

http://www.kwwl.com/story/23570323/2013/09/30/learning-language-in-the-womb-one-professor-says-yes

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/24/tp-study-indicates-late-term-fetuses-can-hear-in/

http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2013/08/babies-learn-recognize-words-womb

Nancy's schedule can change or conducted in different order, but I make sure we do these items each day.

7:30     Breakfast and free play (and see daddy off to work)

9:00     Morning Walk

10:00   Circle Time: Calendar activity. Sing songs, discuss the weather, and letter of the week.

10:15   Snack, Bible Lesson, Music, and dance time

11:30   TV time and Mommy gets ready

11:55   Lunch

12:45   Rest/Quiet time 

2:00:    Crafts and science projects

3:00     Snack and story time

3:30     Brillkids Little Reader Lesson and phonic awareness activities

4:00    Review Letter of the Day, Songs, Stories, and Finger Plays

4:30     Free play until dinner and then we do something with daddy after work.

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

cute! how old is she? 

Quoting momofnancy:

It's all about my little girl including her daily educational lessons, preparing for homeschooling, teaching Nancy about God, photos, monthly developmental updates, etc. Thanks for asking.

Quoting brittany208:

(by the way, you have to hit the "quote" button for people to see that you replied to them)

Quoting momofnancy:

brittany208
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM

that's way too much for my personal tastes. i dont really see the point in spending months teaching little kids things as soon as they can start to learn them, when you can wait til a better time and they can pick it up quick. we do tons of informal education throughout the day, but i never worried a lot about formally teaching him things until he was 3-4. (and im an elementary school teacher).

i mean, if you like doing that, it doesnt hurt. i just dont think its necessary at all. unless you are putting  her in the most advanced of schools, she is already going to start way ahead of the other kids and be bored and gradually slow down to their pace.

Quoting momofnancy:

I don't think it's ever too early to start research and developing ideas. At 3 years old, we'll have Nancy attend a church in town that offers preschool three times a week, but I want to be sure that I am doing my part before that happens so we do a lot of educational activities already throughout the day. For instance, I have a "Letter of the Week". We are studying the letter D. Each day, we address the letter of the day with pictures of things that start with the letter. We sing the phonics letter song. D is for dog da da dog. We also use starfall.com to look at the particular letter over a fun learning course. We do a "Color of the Week" too. I will point out things throughout the day that are that color. I will ask her to do the same. Since 3 months old, she has been doing the Brillkids Little Reader courses. If interested, you can visit brillkids.com for more information. She does two short lessons per day, and they take about 2 minutes each. We do crafts, song and dance, stories, etc. This is my sample schedule below. When she turns 2 in April, then we'll move to abcmouse.com. We are almost done with Brillkids, so far she can say over 30 words at 18 months. Before she was born, I wore the BabyPlus device that provided rhymic patterns that was supposed to teach her in the womb. I didn't have very good education going up, so it's one of my top priorities. I understand that others don't agree with my way of doing things which is completely fine, but if you are interested, then I love talking about it. 

http://www.kwwl.com/story/23570323/2013/09/30/learning-language-in-the-womb-one-professor-says-yes

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/sep/24/tp-study-indicates-late-term-fetuses-can-hear-in/

http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-behavior/2013/08/babies-learn-recognize-words-womb

Nancy's schedule can change or conducted in different order, but I make sure we do these items each day.

10:00   Circle Time: Calendar activity. Sing songs, discuss the weather, and letter of the week.

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

cute! how old is she? 

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting momofnancy:

momofnancy
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:18 AM

As I said, it's not for everyone and we will be homeschooling her and other siblings. I do respect your opinion, but I don't see why anyone woudn't teach them as soon as they can learn, and based on some research they start understanding sounds by 27 weeks. For example, she already can say her alphabet from A to E, talks in two word phrases, and says over 30 words. She just turned 18 months, so I can't wait to see where she's at during the coming months. I don't want to waste three years just because that's what the "norm" is. Once she gets to her highschool years, then she'll have the option to go to a private school. Personally, I don't want my children attending government anything. I appreciate your time and it's been nice chatting.

Quoting brittany208:

that's way too much for my personal tastes. i dont really see the point in spending months teaching little kids things as soon as they can start to learn them, when you can wait til a better time and they can pick it up quick. we do tons of informal education throughout the day, but i never worried a lot about formally teaching him things until he was 3-4. (and im an elementary school teacher).

i mean, if you like doing that, it doesnt hurt. i just dont think its necessary at all. unless you are putting  her in the most advanced of schools, she is already going to start way ahead of the other kids and be bored and gradually slow down to their pace.

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

cute! how old is she? 

Quoting momofnancy:

Quoting brittany208:

Quoting momofnancy:

brittany208
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not trying to be rude in the slightest. there is not a single thing wrong with what you are doing. im just saying we are doing things different. and thats okay! i think youre a great mom to want the best for your kids!

my kids wont be going to public school either :) but i know i dont have the patience to homeschool. i am homeschooling DS for 4yo preschool, but then he's going to school! but thats just me. lol.

Quoting momofnancy:

As I said, it's not for everyone and we will be homeschooling her and other siblings. I do respect your opinion, but I don't see why anyone woudn't teach them as soon as they can learn, and based on some research they start understanding sounds by 27 weeks. For example, she already can say her alphabet from A to E, talks in two word phrases, and says over 30 words. She just turned 18 months, so I can't wait to see where she's at during the coming months. I don't want to waste three years just because that's what the "norm" is. Once she gets to her highschool years, then she'll have the option to go to a private school. Personally, I don't want my children attending government anything. I appreciate your time and it's been nice chatting.

Quoting brittany208:

Heather2001
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Meditate

Heather2001
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

List what I'm grateful for.

Heather2001
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Focus on my kids' laughter and smiles.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)