Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Entering the "I want..." stage.

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM
  • 12 Replies

DD is 4.   So far, I've been able to avoid a lot of the "I want" comments from her but it seems she's entering into this phase.

How did/do you handle it? What did you do when you were out at the store and your child said this at every aisle?

What about TV commercials? Christmas?

Did you try to explain want vs need? Did you have rules? Did you limit them to one item? Other?

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I did try to explain want vs. need, but this was a conversation I had at home.  In the store, I greatly reduced it.  The longer you are near the temptation, the more of a fight it is.  We do have rules, I do limit them, and they are old enough now, that I usually tell them nothing that isn't on the list.  I have four who usually go shopping with me, so it can be a real struggle if anyone thinks they are getting anything...

We really put this to the test last week because I had two who needed shoes, and two who really did not (though I am sure they will soon).  So we frontloaded them with the information that only those two children would be getting shoes, and that the other two would need to just stay with us and remain patient.  It went pretty well, which kind of surprised me a little, but I think giving them the information ahead of time was a big help.

GypsiSky
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Around Christmas, I just say write it in your list to Santa... That always works for us lol. Outside of that, if I want to get it, I will and if not, I just tell them we can find something better elsewhere.

SweetLuci
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I explained we can want things but we don't always get them, and also it's fun to enjoy just looking at things without taking them home, and making choices about what we can get, depending on their ages.

sunshinepraying
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM
DS's kindergarten class just did a worksheet on want vs need. I thought that was neat that they were doing that
sunshinepraying
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Another thing that helps is that I tell DS that I can not buy him so much for bday and Christmas; that if he wants it otherwise, then he can use his own money he worked for to buy it. Usually when I say that, he decides it's not worth it and he's rather save his money instead
brittany208
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:12 PM

My DS is entering it too!!!! We made the rule that he gets toys on birthdays and Christmas and that helped a little. Bc he knows he isnt getting it now. But he started saying "I want that for Christmas. I want that for Christmas" with every commercial and it got old fast!

Need a laugh and a little encouragement? Check out my new blog! 17 Hour Days: I Used to Have a Superhero Cape... til I Lost it in the Laundry!

brittany208
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

sounds like a good idea!

Quoting sunshinepraying:

DS's kindergarten class just did a worksheet on want vs need. I thought that was neat that they were doing that

Need a laugh and a little encouragement? Check out my new blog! 17 Hour Days: I Used to Have a Superhero Cape... til I Lost it in the Laundry!

Heather2001
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM

If she wants it bad enough, she can use the money in her piggy bank for it.  And we don't go overboard on holidays/birthdays.  I don't want my kids to be spoiled brats.

Hottmomma607
by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:38 PM
I always say uh huh ok!! Because at that age they changed their minds so much! As they got older, put it on the list for Santa!
ablackdolphin
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Ohh, I like this one!

Quoting GypsiSky:

Around Christmas, I just say write it in your list to Santa... That always works for us lol. Outside of that, if I want to get it, I will and if not, I just tell them we can find something better elsewhere.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)