Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Kids & Veggies Go Together Better Than You Think

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this

by Adriana Velez

It's time to put this ridiculous myth to rest: Kids don't like eating vegetables. That's a bunch of baloney! Plenty of kids actually do like eating veggies, and now there's a survey to prove it. Researchers talked with 500 families and found that 83 percent of the kids actually had a "favorite" vegetable. Not just a veg they can stand eating, but one they actually like.

Now here's the really interesting part: About half of the kids surveyed named the same vegetable as their favorite as their moms did. So moms, we may have some influence on which veggies our kids like. Do kids inherit our taste or are they just swayed by what they see us enjoying? Or as my mom would say, "Monkey see, monkey do." And which veggies come out on top?

Who knows how much veggie preference is inherited and how much is taught. It's probably a little bit of both. It does seem like super-picky kids tend to have at least one super-picky parent (even if the other parent is a total omnivore), so it doesn't surprise me that many kids have the same favorite veggie as their moms do. As for the top veggies, corn and broccoli top the list.

• Corn (32.2%)
  • Broccoli (29.4%)
  • Carrots (23.2%)
  • Green beans (17.2%)
  • Potatoes (11.8%)
  • Tomatoes (11.4)

I know my son loves broccoli, too. But we've kind of burned out on it a few times so it's good to have a few in rotation. He also loves green beans, cucumbers, and kale -- but only the way I cook it (why?). And he loves tomatoes, which is great because we've got about 20 tomato plants all ripening right now.

I bet a lot of you could name a few vegetables your kid likes to eat, too. Where did we even get this idea that kids hate veggies? I just told my son the story about Popeye and how he used to eat spinach from a can and I thought, Wow, if that's how people used to get their vegetables, no wonder they were so unpopular. I say, get 'em while they're young. If we just feed kids veggies like they're delicious, it may not even occur to them that they're "supposed to" hate veggies.

More from The Stir: 7 Delicious Desserts Made From Vegetables (Yes, It's True)

Anyway, full disclosure: this study was funded by the frozen veggies company Birdseye, so, you know ... big surprise that they found out kids like vegetables. Still, there are worse things that doing research to promote veggie-eating. And since it's the middle of summer there's no reason to buy frozen veggies because we're surrounded by super-fresh ones.

What are your kids' favorite vegetables?

Image via La Grande Farmer's Market/Flickr

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virginiamama71
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:19 PM

my son likes corn and sweet potatoes

Hottmomma607
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:36 AM
DS likes onions, green peppers, broccoli when I make my soup! DD likes peas! Oldest eats whatever.
johnny4ever
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:32 AM

corn

goddess99
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Broccoli is my dd favorite food. She also likes corn, green beans, peas, potatoes.

elasmimi
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:10 AM

My 7 y/o will choose broccoli over fries any day. She is not fond of potatoes in just about any form.

ceciliam
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:15 AM

My son tolerates broccoli and cauliflower. He likes carrots if they are in a stew. Other than that, he does not like vegetables. As for myself, I love most vegetables....so he definitely does not take after me.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Onions? How old is he? 

Quoting Hottmomma607:

DS likes onions, green peppers, broccoli when I make my soup! DD likes peas! Oldest eats whatever.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:25 AM

My 13o loves corn on the cob. For some reason... It tastes different off the cob!! Lol!! 

Quoting virginiamama71:

my son likes corn and sweet potatoes

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My ss12 loves brocolli casserole

Quoting goddess99:

Broccoli is my dd favorite food. She also likes corn, green beans, peas, potatoes.

kellynh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Most of all, my kids adore green beans

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)