Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

I'm Done.... Update on page 3 of replies 11/10/13 Update on page 5 11/11/13

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM
  • 56 Replies

...with my 7 year old DS's BS attitude and disobeying and am less than 30 minutes from completely cancelling his Christmas.

He constantlly refuses to clean his room.  This means clothes, books and toys where they belong.  2 weeks ago when I had it I gave him a time frame and everything I picked up after was given away.  I have been asking nicely, not letting him play till it;s done, demanding he clean it since Tuesday.  When I last looked in about 10 minutes ago he still has not touched a single thing.

He already knows I will give more toys away.  I said if I see a big improvement he can earn the right to keep Christmas but if I don't see one he will get absolutely nothing.  I am just DONE with his crap.

I try to be nice but all I get is "Idon't care" or "I hate you , you hate me, you're a dummy etc".  I know kids younger then him that have a heck more chores than he does and harder as well.  That do them without complaint.

He needs to straighten up and fly right quick.

I know I amprobably not being positive but I can only ask nicely so many times.

Any ideas?????+

by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 5:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
abra
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Oh wow. I'm so sorry. What has worked when he was younger?
aidensmomma508
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Have you tried tAling away tv or game time etc too

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Have you tried a consistent chore chart? My oldest is like this and I make her earn her privileges... TV time, DS time, or tablet time. We have a chart of her responsibilities through the day and we have assigned chores every day. She has to earn her privileges by doing her chores or she doesn't get them. It's finally working but when she was younger she just didn't care or respond
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bloomsr
by Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Cut out all TV. All of it.

Our oldest (will be 6 tomorrow) started acting more aggressive, defiant and sleeping terribly. We cut out all tv (he was watching about 2 hours/day) and we saw huge improvements within about a week.

Good luck, stay strong, mama!!
hugss
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Aww big hugs hon,
Assume you have taken away things that mean a lot to him too?
Try sitting down & maybe talking with him & explain how important it is for him to do what he is asked ..
Good luck :)

Janet
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:28 AM
This souds like an excellent idea.

Quoting jconney80:

Have you tried a consistent chore chart? My oldest is like this and I make her earn her privileges... TV time, DS time, or tablet time. We have a chart of her responsibilities through the day and we have assigned chores every day. She has to earn her privileges by doing her chores or she doesn't get them. It's finally working but when she was younger she just didn't care or respond
Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Whenhe was younger, shorter and had a bigger closet with high shelves.  I'd put toys I had to pick up,  up there in "toy prison".  He had to earn them back one at a time.  Then we moved in a much smaller space where he had a lot fewer toys.  He still wouldn't pick up and the toys went into the storage trailer indefeinitely.

We are now in a middle sized place.   He has his own room, sort of.  The room is technically for him and his 3 yo brother but the 3 yo rarely uses the room.  As far as storage there is a book shelf all three of use (one shelf each plus the top).  There are two toy boxes and space under the bed for toys too big for the toy boxes.  Their  dresser has a few shelves above it which Jericho calls his liabrary.  This is where he puts things he doesn't want his brother to touch.

Disciplines include:  Losing toys temporarially or permanately, losing computer time, not being able to play with friends, not being able to play in yard, if he is on restriction and we are playing video games (this is rare occurrance as we don't play that offten) he can't play and taking away tv privlages (this is tough because the tv is in the living room where we all gather.  To truely take tv away fully he'd have to live in his room when on restriction.  He is not allowed to watch his shows but he likes a lot of the ones his brother does so when his brother gets a turn he is able to watch it.

Quoting abra:

Oh wow. I'm so sorry. What has worked when he was younger?

Jerichos_Mommy
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never done a chore chart.  Can you give me specific details on how you do this?

Quoting jconney80:

celestegood
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM
He is exactly like my six year old. For my son, a chore chart seems to work well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Personally, I sit down and write out all the chores that need done. Sweeping, trash out, dishes, unloading the dishwasher, laundry, trash, there's more but you get it.

Then I write the kids names on a piece of paper. Then the chores are written down after the correct names. I change the chores out weekly so nobody gets tired of their chore.

Good luck!

Quoting Jerichos_Mommy:

I have never done a chore chart.  Can you give me specific details on how you do this?

Quoting jconney80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)