Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

Are you intentional in your parenting?

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
  • 31 Replies
Are you intentional in your parenting and how your kids are raised? Did you start out that way? And by intentional I mean do you have a certain idea of how your kids should be raised and do you follow it? Certain morals, expectations, goals, religion, or whatever your idea of intentional is? I've been watching 19 & Counting for the first time and while I don't agree with everything they do I think it's neat how they all work together as a family and are very intentional in how they raise their children. They know exactly how they want to raise them and they don't waver in that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 11:31 PM
I certainly didn't start out knowing what I was doing when I became a parent lol. My kids are teaching me more and more over time just how intentional I need and want to be to raise them. I have started implementing all of the kids helping out around the house. I didn't start this young enough with my oldest child. My younger kids are given the chance to be helpful all day and I have them involved as much as possible. They have to help out.

I homeschool my kids and this was not my original plan but it is now. So that wasn't intentional but it's proving to be very helpful.

I have 3 kids with special needs. They are high functioning autistics and while they meet a lot of milestones without much work they still need a lit of help with other things. So short term and long term I work on and have goals for them that we work towards. I have definite expectations and goals of them going to college and being self sufficient.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hugss
Take some *Time Out* for you, Join our Friendly/Supportive group ;)
Yesterday at 10:32 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Maybe didn't know quite what we were doing with ds1,

However knew I did not want to be like my own parents ;)

Janet
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:21 AM
Never had it fully together with my first at first. Later I did and followed it.
mom_4_God
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes my husband and I are intentional. We knew what we would expect of our children and what goals we had in mind.

By the way I love the show 19 kids and Counting and has the pleasure of meeting the parents once.

lillybug222
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:00 PM
I basically feel like a failure as a parent. I have all sorts of thoughts on being an intentional parent. Most days, I'm doing good to just get through the day. I feel as if my parenting comes last. It's not fair to my kids, but I don't know what else to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mznaye
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I do the best I can to be the mom my son needs.
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I'm sorry that you feel that way! I used to feel the same way. Over the years I've learned I guess how to plan ahead better and it helps me feel more "together."

Quoting lillybug222:

I basically feel like a failure as a parent. I have all sorts of thoughts on being an intentional parent. Most days, I'm doing good to just get through the day. I feel as if my parenting comes last. It's not fair to my kids, but I don't know what else to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aidensmomma508
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I'd say yes. Alot of times I have to adapt and go with the flow more or I'd be just unhappy

12yrmama
by Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 1:32 PM

Especially with our first- we had more time to talk and go places. With the youngest two I feel happy just getting through the day. But I do try to expose them to local events and encourage healthy lifestyles for them.

abra
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes and yes. We keep our focus on a particular philsophy and everything we do is shaped by that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)