Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jazz up your Thanksgiving menu with these classic New Orleans recipes.

Posted by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 50 Replies
5 moms liked this

A Big Easy Thanksgiving

Poppy Tooker shows how to add Southern flair to your Thanksgiving feast

Hallmark staff
Thanksgiving recipes

Native New Orleanian Poppy Tooker presents a classic Big Easy Thanksgiving dinner natives will recognize and newcomers will savor. The renowned chef, cooking teacher and radio-show host shares nine recipes that aptly represent the rich flavors and history of the region—and are sure to jazz up your Thanksgiving menu. Ready to add authentic Southern flair to your Thanksgiving feast? Let’s dig in!

Classic Louisiana Shrimp Salad

Classic Louisiana Shrimp Salad

"This is the perfect way to start a meal; the flavors are so bright," says Poppy.

Seafood Gumbo

Seafood Gumbo

"This is my most-sought-after recipe. Nobody takes a cooking class in New Orleans from me without learning how to make gumbo," says Poppy. Serve this classic Creole dish over cooked rice.

Stuffed Mirlitons

Stuffed Mirlitons

"When my great-grandmother died, she didn't leave written recipes," says Poppy. "So I cooked everything I remembered eating at her table, including these mirlitons, and had my daddy taste it until he said, 'Yes, this is just like Mamman's.' "

Poppy's Spicy Bourbon Marinade

Poppy's Spicy Bourbon Marinade

Poppy injects this marinade into the turkey her husband fries for Thanksgiving. Use it with your own favorite method of frying turkey.

Mamman's Oyster Rice Dressing

Mamman's Oyster Rice Dressing

"Bread stuffing would never have had a place in the rural parts of Louisiana where Mamman was from because wheat didn't grow there," Poppy explains. "Down here, we're all about rice." Poppy also offers these additional side dishes to add to your Thanksgiving table: Meat Dressing and Peas in a Roux.

Bread Pudding With Hard Sauce

Bread Pudding With Hard Sauce

"Mamman's bread pudding made a big impression on me as a small child when it would come to the table dripping with sauce and filled with plump raisins and pecans," Poppy remembers.

Café Brûlot

Café Brûlot

"Café brûlot is from the Armagnac region of France, where they call it café diable," says Poppy. "I learned to make this from enjoying it at classic New Orleans restaurants, like Antoine's and Galatoire's, where it's a standard ending to any festive meal."

Poppy Tooker is a lifelong New Orleanian who champions New Orleans food and culture. She hosts Louisiana Eats!, a weekly, NPR-affiliated radio show, and appears every Friday on Steppin' Out, an arts and entertainment show on WYES television. In between shows, she writes about food, teaches classes and makes sure her three Chinese pugs are fat and happy! For more of Poppy's culinary magic, stop by her website: poppytooker.com

by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
celestegood
by Bronze Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 12:15 AM
Fancy! Thanks for these :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TerriC
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:35 AM

I wish I could try SO many of those recipes but I am allergic to shellfish.  :-(

johnny4ever
by Tracy on Nov. 13, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Food looks so good!

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Nov. 13, 2013 at 8:04 AM
I'll stay with the traditional dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
virginiamama71
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 1:57 PM

the shrimp salad looks delicious

lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 13, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Some of these sound good, but they wouldn't go over well on a Thanksgiving in my house.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't necessarily serve them for Thanksgiving, but these are some great recipes! Gotta try the gumbo.

Sisteract
by on Nov. 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM

Yummy!

timon95
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:29 AM

oooh a lot of that looks so yummy! too bad my family won't eat most of that.

krys1025
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 1:54 AM
I love bread pudding and seafood gumbo
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)