Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

5 Awesome Family-Minded Ways to Change Your Weekends

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 54 Replies
2 moms liked this

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Weekend days are notorious for getting away from us too fast. Sometimes, as a mom, I am so exhausted from the week past that I end up wanting just to sleep all morning, keep the kids in front of the TV and veg.

Then, on Sunday, most typically, I wake up with the weight of the week on my chest. It's the day for Costco, Whole Foods, cleaning, lunch packing and errand running. Where is the family time? We are lucky if we get an hour at the local park.

This is not what the weekends are made for. We spend all week apart, so why not come together on the weekends and make them all about family? There are a lot of great ways to make the weekends count. I, for one, plan to try to do at least one really fun thing per weekend from now on.

Here are five ways to change it all up:

Do a kid's choice day: Each day of the weekend, give over to one kid. They get to pick EVERYTHING. If that means Snickers for breakfast, so be it. If that means you spend all day on roller coasters and laughing until you puke, then have a blast doing it. Kids feel empowered and you all have more fun. It's a major win all around!

Do Shabbat dinner even if you are not Jewish:  I am not a religious Jewish person, but I do enjoy lighting candles and sitting down sans phone or Internet on Friday nights. It is a great way to regroup form the week and just be a family.

Have a "no power" day:  Buh-bye phones, Internet, TV and electronics. Spend a day as a family with no electronics or even electricity. Sometimes "blackouts" are good for the whole family (though not weeklong ones, SANDY!).

Do a family field day: OK, so it's a LITTLE Brady Bunch. But a family field day can also be a blast if you want it to be. Break out the old potato sacks. Get sweaty and laugh a lot.

Family slumber party: This is one of my favorite things to do. Pop some popcorn, get some age appropriate scary movies and camp out in the living room (or in the backyard!) Make microwave s'mores and sleep in a big pile.

What do you do to shake up weekends?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TerriC
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:52 AM
1 mom liked this

We just had a girls slumber party.  DH had to go out of town, so I kept the girls downstairs and we had a slumber party so he could sleep.  We also do a version of kids day.  We have to limit their choices though or we'd be heading to Disney.  lol

goddess99
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I like the field trip idea, we do do that. The thing that shakes our weekend up is when my dd is actually here. She's usually with her dad or grandma for the weekends.

mrswillie
by Silver Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM
We do a trash meal on Friday. It is a not so healthy dinner. This weekend is grilled hamburgers and macaroni and cheese with pepperoni bacon it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalasmama2007
by Ticia on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:45 AM

My SO works most Saturdays, so we always do something together as a family on Sunday.

elasmimi
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I love the no power day, we really need to do this one. We take lots of weekend trips, this weekend we are going to see the Rockettes!

Mznaye
by Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Tfs
Leelee1008
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM

not much. we just pretty much relax

virginiamama71
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 9:46 AM

thanks

weekends for us are busy like the week.

jessicasmom1
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM

yes we have family days ... always family dinner now been watching the Hallmark countdown to Christmas movies with her .. quality time

ceciliam
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 10:44 AM

We're always doing something. When the weather is nice enough we go on hikes, we go apple/pumpkin picking, movies, museums....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)