Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How active are your children's grandparents in their lives?

Posted by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 14 Replies

Do you live close to them? Talk to them on the phone often? Do they help out with the kids or take them to do things with them if they live near you? How active are your children's grandparents in their lives?

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilyismyheart
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Not too active. None live very close by.
lilyismyheart
by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Not too active. None live very close by.
jconney80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM

My mom lives an hour away from us and we see her usually once a week or every other week. We talk to her on the phone a lot and she talks to my kids on the phone too. My dad lives 1,000 miles away and we see him about once or twice a year. He really isn't a very involved grandparent. He doesn't really enjoy being around his grandkids. 

My in-laws (hubby's stepmom & dad) call us every once in awhile and send money to the kids for Christmas. They don't do Facebook and I wish they did so they can see the kids pictures all the time!

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Today at 12:46 AM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:16 PM

When we lived in the same state & the kids were younger they were helpful,
Even with being 2 hours away .. They were active.
After we moved out of state they/we probably saw them once or twice a year ..

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Aww that's a bummer that you don't see them as much. That is how it is for us too. That is really awesome that they helped so much when they were still 2 hours away though!

Quoting hugss:

hugss

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM

Yes it was but they had a good foundation,
We would visit them at a holiday.
Thhey are gone now but the boys were close with them.
How often do yours see them?

Quoting jconney80:

Aww that's a bummer that you don't see them as much. That is how it is for us too. That is really awesome that they helped so much when they were still 2 hours away though!

Quoting hugss:

jconney80
by Bronze Member on Nov. 14, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Oh I'm sorry to hear that they passed away :( 

We see my dad and stepmom maybe once or twice a year. They live in Florida and we live in Ohio. Then we rarely see my FIL because he doesn't travel and we haven't been able to take the kids to see them. We did see them last year but that is it. My kids just are too young to travel with and it was nightmare! We see my dad because he visits us. We see my mom usually once a week. We have been trying to do a dinner/family night with her every week. 

Quoting hugss:

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting hugss:

hugss

by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Thanks .. both my sons were obviously very sad :(
A good excuse to go to Florida?  How old are your kids?
Glad you do at least see your Dad .. nice on your Mom so often :)

Quoting jconney80:

Oh I'm sorry to hear that they passed away :( 

We see my dad and stepmom maybe once or twice a year. They live in Florida and we live in Ohio. Then we rarely see my FIL because he doesn't travel and we haven't been able to take the kids to see them. We did see them last year but that is it. My kids just are too young to travel with and it was nightmare! We see my dad because he visits us. We see my mom usually once a week. We have been trying to do a dinner/family night with her every week. 

Quoting hugss:

Quoting jconney80:

Quoting hugss:

aidensmomma508
by on Nov. 15, 2013 at 9:02 AM

We are close with my inlaws we go over there a few times a week!

mommie2madison
by Member on Nov. 15, 2013 at 10:12 AM

I have two kids and one on the way.  My first was an only child for 11 years.  For the first 7 of those years she had grandparents nearby.  They saw/interacted with her only occasionally - birthdays, holidays, occasional babysitting, but not too much.  Many times we'd go months without seeing them.  When she was 7 we moved 800 miles away, their involvement decreased even more.

In 2011 I had another child (remarried).  My new inlaws are still 800 miles away - but they are extremely active even from that distance.  They are also active in my first-born's life as full-fledged grandparents even though she is not biologically theirs.

Next month my inlaws are moving the 800 miles to be where we are - and they'll be very active, help out, babysit, etc.  As for MY mom though... my 2nd child has seen her a total of 4 times (she's 2).  We've offered to pay for flights for her to come visit, she just doesn't make it happen so typically she only sees our youngest when we go back to visit our hometown.  With my in-laws moving here though - that will be a rare occasion going forward.  It's actually something that really aggravates me - that my mother isn't more proactive in her grandchildren's lives.  (Granted she sends them "goodie boxes" of cheap junk every now & then to let them know she's thinking of them).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)