Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do Any Of Your Kids Get Insomnia?

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM
  • 41 Replies

do not disturb Do any of your kids ever get insomnia? How old are they and how bad/often do they get it? What do you do to help them get to sleep? 

View Full Size Image YVONNE

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
earthangel1967
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Our 5 kids would get insomnia, pretty badly, keeping them wide awake and hyper way past midnight, despite having relaxing bedtime routine nightly of warm bubble baths, then story bood bedtime story, then getting tucked in with lots of lovies and any bedtime song of each individual child's choice. 

The 3 kids who had adHd and bipolar disorder (so would get manic which insomnia is often a part of) got the worst and most often from very young on up. 

Had to talk to their dr.s/psychiatrists about it. 

We'd have a little quiet bedside chat with them to make sure there was nothing they were anxious about, like dealing with school or such weighing on their minds keeping them awake and if there was we talked thru it to try to help.

We gave them warm cup of chamomile/valerian root tea with cream in it. (more effective than just warm milk)

She said it was ok to give them Melatonin, even the kids who were on meds. So we did. 

And we got them nature sound machines, and let them choose what sound they wanted, bubbling brook, rain, crackling fireplace, etc etc.

When they got older - middle school and older if they still couldnt sleep after all that we let them read in bed until got sleepy. 

elasmimi
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:09 AM

My granddaughter (whom I raised) was also bi polar, as was her mother. They both had severe insomnia, but at that time there was not much we could do. I know they say now that kids can take it, but not back then. Now I'm raising my great granddaughter, and she doesn't really have much trouble, and when she does, she crawls in bed with me, and she is fine.

lovinmykiddo07
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Yes, but he also has ADHD. We tried everything natural that the doctors and I could come up with. In the end he was put on Clonidine because even with Melatonin & all the other naturals he was up for 72 hours at a time, would crash for a few hours, and then be at it again. It was horrible. :/ 

earthangel1967
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Thankfully they have  come a long way with knowledge about bipolar in the last decade and WAY more than the last 2 decades or more. But still have a ways to go too! 

I am so happy to hear your great granddaughter seems to have been spared that difficulty!  What a blessing and what a blessing YOU are too to have raised your grandchild AND great grandchild, bless your heart. HUGS

Quoting elasmimi:

My granddaughter (whom I raised) was also bi polar, as was her mother. They both had severe insomnia, but at that time there was not much we could do. I know they say now that kids can take it, but not back then. Now I'm raising my great granddaughter, and she doesn't really have much trouble, and when she does, she crawls in bed with me, and she is fine.

earthangel1967
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Awwww  as a sufferer myself and also having multiple kids with adhd AND bipolar I totally can relate to that. I am just  glad they were finally able to get your poor son and you  too, some relief, that is so hard on everyone! HUGS

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Yes, but he also has ADHD. We tried everything natural that the doctors and I could come up with. In the end he was put on Clonidine because even with Melatonin & all the other naturals he was up for 72 hours at a time, would crash for a few hours, and then be at it again. It was horrible. :/ 

GypsiSky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM

No

strictmomhere
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:24 PM
My oldest is on Melintonin 3mgs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmqw229
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:32 PM
We have never dealt with this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
earthangel1967
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Is it  helping hopefully? : ) 

Quoting strictmomhere: My oldest is on Melintonin 3mgs

Khanfan
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is 13.  Her insomnia began around 5 yrs old.

I used to give her massage with lavender baby lotion.  Reading, singing, breathing exercises muscle tense and release exercises.  I put her on a Track & Field team.  Now she stays up till all hours and doesn't wake till 1pm if I don't get her out of bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)