Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Parenting Positive Kids Parenting Positive Kids

So, we all know what a pain discipline can be- no matter what your parenting philosophy is.

We recently stopped all corporal discipline in our house. Now we use a jar system. It has been working really well for us.

Just thought I would share for anyone else still struggling with this.

In a little over three weeks, my kids have really turned around (not completely well-behaved, but MUCH better than they were).

Here are our jars.
This one is pretty self explanatory.

In the disciplinary jar, there are 15 strips of paper. Each strip has a different consequence on it.
When a kid acts up, they reach into the jar and 'pick' their discipline. If they throw a fit because they don't like the one they got, they get to get another and have two.

This has really helped us out, and I just wanted to post it, for other families to try and see if it works for them.

The poem on the Pos. Behavior Jar is something I wrote, but, if you're going to use this idea, or one like it, feel free to use the poem.

Good luck!

by on Feb. 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM
Replies (11-15):
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Thanks for sharing the info!

Quoting Sandiekd21:

I have, No TV for Two Days, No Video Games For Two Days, Water To Drink Only For Two Days (they can have as much as they want, but it's going to be ONLY water for two days), Do A Chore Assigned By Disciplining Parent, Showers Only For A Week (no fun baths!), and things like that.

There's also Stand In The Corner.

Quoting TigerofMu:

What kinds of consequences do you have in the discipline jar?

Sandiekd21
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this

You are very welcome.

Anything I can do to potentially help other parents out!

Quoting TigerofMu:

Thanks for sharing the info!

Quoting Sandiekd21:

I have, No TV for Two Days, No Video Games For Two Days, Water To Drink Only For Two Days (they can have as much as they want, but it's going to be ONLY water for two days), Do A Chore Assigned By Disciplining Parent, Showers Only For A Week (no fun baths!), and things like that.

There's also Stand In The Corner.

Quoting TigerofMu:

What kinds of consequences do you have in the discipline jar?

gmadiane
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 10:48 AM
1 mom liked this

good idea

SarahSuzyQ
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 1:25 PM

I'm such a huge fan of positive reinforcement... I like how your positive behavior jar results in a reward for the whole family! :) Thank you for sharing, this is a great system and it's good to hear that it's working well for your family.

Sandiekd21
by Member on Feb. 28, 2014 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you, me, too!

And I am all about doing things as a family, but we never have any extra money, so, with the kids earning it, and picking the activity, it just means that much more to them, ya know?

Quoting SarahSuzyQ:

I'm such a huge fan of positive reinforcement... I like how your positive behavior jar results in a reward for the whole family! :) Thank you for sharing, this is a great system and it's good to hear that it's working well for your family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)