Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bagels!

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM
  • 28 Replies
  • 668 Total Views

by on Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jan. 29, 2010 at 12:55 PM

Basic bagels

Ingredients

• 1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 3 quarts boiling water
  • 3 tablespoons white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornmeal
  • 1 egg white
  • 3 tablespoons poppy seeds

Directions

1. Place water, salt, sugar, flour and yeast in the bread machine pan in the order recommended by the manufacturer. Select Dough setting.
  2. When cycle is complete, let dough rest on a lightly floured surface. Meanwhile, in a large pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons of sugar.
  3. Cut dough into 9 equal pieces, and roll each piece into a small ball. Flatten balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each with your thumb. Twirl the dough on your finger or thumb to enlarge the hole, and to even out the dough around the hole. Cover bagels with a clean cloth, and let rest for 10 minutes.
  4. Sprinkle an ungreased baking sheet with cornmeal. Carefully transfer bagels to boiling water. Boil for 1 minute, turning half way through. Drain briefly on clean towel. Arrange boiled bagels on baking sheet. Glaze tops with egg white, and sprinkle with your choice of toppings.
  5. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F (190 degrees C) oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until well browned.

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jan. 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM

Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

1/3 cup raisins, pre-soaked
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 cup lukewarm water
2 cups white bread flour
3 tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

Soak the raisins in warm water for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry. Toss with cinnamon and sugar, then place in the machine with the rest of the ingredients. Insert ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's instructions. Remove the dough from the machine after the first knead - approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Place dough on a floured surface. Divide into 5 parts. Form balls, gently press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.

While bagels rise, bring three quarts of water and one tablespoon of sugar to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Drop test dough (see hints below). Using a slotted spoon, drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water. Boil on each side for 1/2 minutes. Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with egg and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired. Bake at 400ºF on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden - approximately 15 minutes.

** Bagel Success Hints
When forming the bagels, set aside two 1/4" balls of dough. When the bagels have doubled in size, drop the test dough into boiling water. The dough should pop to the top right away. When this happens, it is time to boil the bagels. A quick spray of non-stick vegetable coating on the top of the bagel may be substituted for the egg wash.

To make bagel sticks, cut bagel before rising and lay out in a straight line. Roll sticks in a combination of sesame and poppy seeds with a pinch of garlic powder. Let sticks rise, boil, and bake as described in the above directions.

To make bagel chips, slice leftover bagels horizontally into thin slices. Brush with butter or margarine on one side. Lay (butter side up) on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 325ºF for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and crisp.

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jan. 29, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Bread Machine Onion Bagels

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/8 cups water -- lukewarm
3 cups white bread flour -- +1 tablespoon
3 1/3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried onions -- pre-soaked ***
3 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast

*** Presoak 1/4 cup dried onions in 1/3 cup warm water for 10 minutes. Drain a
nd press water from onions. Place specified amount of pre-soaked onions in the
machine with the rest of the ingredients. Save the rest to sprinkle on top of
the bagels before baking.

1. Insert ingredients in bread machine according to manufacturer's instruction
s. Remove the dough from the machine after the first knead - approximately 20
to 30 minutes.

2. Place dough on a floured surface. Divide into 8 parts. Form balls, gently
press thumb through center of ball and slowly stretch into bagel shape.

3. While bagels rise, bring three quarts of water and one tablespoon of sugar
to a rapid boil in a large saucepan. Drop test dough (see hints below).

4. Using a slotted spoon, drop 2-3 bagels into rapidly boiling water. Boil on
each side for 1/2 minutes. Remove and cool on rack 1 minute, brush with egg
and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds, if desired.

5. Bake at 400 on a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal, until golden - appro
ximately 15 minutes.

** Bagel Success Hints

** When forming the bagels, set aside two 1/4 balls of dough. When the bagels
have doubled in size, drop the test dough into boiling water. The dough shoul
d pop to the top right away. When this happens, it is time to boil the bagels.

** A quick spray of non-stick vegetable coating on the top of the bagel may be
substituted for the egg wash.

** To make bagel sticks, cut bagel before rising and lay out in a straight line
. Roll sticks in a combination of sesame and poppy seeds with a pinch of garl
ic powder. Let sticks rise, boil, and bake as described in the above direction
s.

** To make bagel chips, slice leftover bagels horizontally into thin slices. B
ruish with butter or margarine on one side. Lay (butter side up) on an ungreas
ed cookie sheet and bake at 325 for 12-15 minutes until golden brown and crisp.

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jun. 25, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Wow, look what I just found!!!! I gotta try these!!!

Chocolate Bagels

• 1 1/2 c. warm water
  • 4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c. baking cocoa
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 1/4 c. flour
  • 4 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast

Place ingredients in bread machine pan in order listed.  Set for dough cycle and start (may need to add a Tbsp. or two of flour if dough is too sticky while mixing).

When cycle is complete, remove dough and divide into 12 equal pieces.  Shape pieces into ball by rolling in your hands, then poke hole in the middle and stretch a bit to form bagel shape.  Let rise on floured surface while getting the water ready.

Bring to a boil 3 quarts of water with 1 Tbsp. sugar.  Cook bagels in simmering water, 30 seconds each side.  Drain.  Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal, or lined with parchment paper.  Brush top of each bagel with an egg white wash.  Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes until browned.

queenbree545
by Newbie on Jun. 25, 2010 at 10:51 PM

Sounds YUMMY!

Quoting michiganmom116:

Chocolate Bagels

• 1 1/2 c. warm water
  • 4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c. baking cocoa
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 c. flour

Place ingredients in bread machine pan in order listed.  Set for dough cycle and start (may need to add a Tbsp. or two of flour if dough is too sticky while mixing).

When cycle is complete, remove dough and divide into 12 equal pieces.  Shape pieces into ball by rolling in your hands, then poke hole in the middle and stretch a bit to form bagel shape.  Let rise on floured surface while getting the water ready.

Bring to a boil 3 quarts of water with 1 Tbsp. sugar.  Cook bagels in simmering water, 30 seconds each side.  Drain.  Place on a lightly greased cookie sheet that has been sprinkled with cornmeal, or lined with parchment paper.  Brush top of each bagel with an egg white wash.  Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes until browned.

BJsMommy04
by Baker's Apprentice on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Are you going to try putting chocolate chips in with it?  I know it says to use baking cocoa.  :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

Chocolate Bagels

• 1 1/2 c. warm water
  • 4 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2/3 c. sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/4 c. baking cocoa
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 3 c. flour

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jun. 26, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Quoting BJsMommy04:

Are you going to try putting chocolate chips in with it?  I know it says to use baking cocoa.  :)

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't have any right now  :-(

BJsMommy04
by Baker's Apprentice on Jun. 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Oh. lol.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting BJsMommy04:

Quoting michiganmom116:

I don't have any right now  :-(

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Okay, I made the chocolate bagels.  DEFINITELY needed more flour.  I already changed the above recipe to add more flour, but you'll still need to keep an eye on it.    Pics to come!

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jun. 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Okay.  Final verdict.  I have to make these again.  I wasn't happy with the way the dough handled because I didn't have enough flour in it at first.  I believe the temp for the oven was too high (or maybe it was MY oven) because the bottoms got darker than I would have liked.  They ARE tasty, though!!!  Soft on the inside, crispy/crunchy on the outside.  These would be FABULOUS with a strawberry cream cheese spread!

(excuse the rough look of the bagels.  the dough was pretty sticky when I was boiling them and they didn't form well.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)