Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Has anyone here made bagels before?  I found this recipe in another one of my groups and I might just give it a try this next weekend.

http://annies-eats.com/2011/12/27/homemade-bagels-step-by-step/

by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 5:40 PM
Replies (11-16):
mes_deux_amours
by Baker's Apprentice on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:00 AM

How do you do the whole sponge part? Make the sponge, let if sit for 2 hours and the finish the dough part off in the bread machine on the "dough" setting?

I am such a beginner lol I have to stop myself from running back to my kitchenaid dough hook sometimes.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Has anyone made this recipe in the bread machine? Or is this one that has to be done by hand?

The dough is made in the bread machine, then they're formed and finished by hand.

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Just mix the ingredients in the machine and let it do the work of mixing and rising for you.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

How do you do the whole sponge part? Make the sponge, let if sit for 2 hours and the finish the dough part off in the bread machine on the "dough" setting?

I am such a beginner lol I have to stop myself from running back to my kitchenaid dough hook sometimes.

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Has anyone made this recipe in the bread machine? Or is this one that has to be done by hand?

The dough is made in the bread machine, then they're formed and finished by hand.

mes_deux_amours
by Baker's Apprentice on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Quoting michiganmom116:

Just mix the ingredients in the machine and let it do the work of mixing and rising for you.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:05 AM

I see where your confusion is coming in.  The recipe in the OP calls for the sponge

Go to our Artisan Breads forum.  The recipe that I've used for bagels is in there.  It's very easy to follow.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

mes_deux_amours
by Baker's Apprentice on Sep. 2, 2012 at 11:19 AM

that is exactly what I am confused about. The recipe above the bulk of the time (besides after the bagels are formed and setting) is the sponge. I'll check out that forum.

Quoting michiganmom116:

I see where your confusion is coming in.  The recipe in the OP calls for the sponge

Go to our Artisan Breads forum.  The recipe that I've used for bagels is in there.  It's very easy to follow.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

sassymomntx1961
by Baker's Apprentice on Sep. 3, 2012 at 1:05 PM

What is sponge?

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN