Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking for a high fiber bread recipe

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

My neighbor's husband has health issues and fiber will really help to alleviate his symptoms. The highest fiber bread I have found has 6.3g but calls for rye flour, which I don't have. He needs close to 40g a day, so the larger the amount, the better. I have vital wheat gluten, wheat germ, flax, wheat flour, bread flour, white flour, and oat bran all on hand. 

by on Jul. 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jul. 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Calorie for calorie, veggies have more fiber and nutrition than any bread.  He should be looking for ways to incorporate more veggies instead of filling up on high fiber bread.

jvfierro
by Newbie on Jul. 5, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I saw that one, but it didn't have the nutritional values, so I wasn't sure. I know he needs fruits and veggies, but he's a stubborn person. I figured bread would be the easiest way for him to get more fiber. Personally, I really do not like how he eats. He is diabetic and has had repeated episodes of diverticulitis. He eats a lot of carbs, sugary foods and soda (I am cringing from just the thought). Aside from making high fiber bread, I don't know of any other ways to help him.

momofsix317
by Bakery manager on Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Oh my I will look in some of my recipe books. I am diabetic (type 2), he really shoud be watching his carb intake!

jvfierro
by Newbie on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Thank you! He is type 1 and he really does not eat many fruits and veggies, like I said before. Most of his diet consists of carbs, so I figured the least I could do was make the bread as nutrient and fiber dense as possible. I wound up making the one posted above but did not have wheat bran, so I substituted oat bran in it's place.

Quoting momofsix317:

Oh my I will look in some of my recipe books. I am diabetic (type 2), he really shoud be watching his carb intake!

michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Jul. 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Stubborn man!  He sounds just like my type 1 mom.

I'm a type 2 diabetic that's had great success with a paleo/primal diet, but bread is sure off the list of food we can eat. 

sassymomntx1961
by Baker's Apprentice on Jul. 10, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Is there a way to put fruits or veggies high in protien in the bread as sub for some of the items needed to make the bread?I know ive heard ppl putting veggies in diff foods purred like in sauces and baked goods.

GOD first ppl next things last you cant go wrong and w/ GOD and JESUS around you,you will be a a triple strand rope

jvfierro
by Newbie on Jul. 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM

I'm willing to add it to the bread if it won't alter the flavor too much. I could try something like raisin-carrot bread with added fiber. Any other ideas?

Quoting sassymomntx1961:

Is there a way to put fruits or veggies high in protien in the bread as sub for some of the items needed to make the bread?I know ive heard ppl putting veggies in diff foods purred like in sauces and baked goods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)