Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Collapsing bread

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 137 Total Views
I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have this one bread recipe I like because it's simple and usually makes good bread. I use the "sandwich" setting when making it so it will turn out soft in the center.

My issue with this bread is that it has been collapsing in the center. What causes this? I don't disturb it when it's baking. I want the center to be full.

Adding pic in replies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mes_deux_amours
by Baker's Apprentice on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Don't mind my 2 yo's hand lol

It was cool by this time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Aug. 1, 2012 at 7:43 AM

When the bread rises or during the beginning of the bake cycle, does it touch the lid of the bread machine? 

You have to be exact in your measurements of yeast, sugar, and salt.  They work together to get the perfect rise.

Another issue may be heat and humidity in your kitchen.  Those will affect the rise of your bread.

mes_deux_amours
by Baker's Apprentice on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:08 AM
No I don't think it touches the machine.

I'll be more precise on my measurements, I kind of eye ball the honey.

I live in Texas. It's pretty humid here.

Quoting michiganmom116:

When the bread rises or during the beginning of the bake cycle, does it touch the lid of the bread machine? 

You have to be exact in your measurements of yeast, sugar, and salt.  They work together to get the perfect rise.

Another issue may be heat and humidity in your kitchen.  Those will affect the rise of your bread.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Too much honey will definitely cause the yeast to work (rise) faster.

The only thing I can advise about the humidity is to cut back on the liquid in the recipe by a teaspoon or two.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Quoting michiganmom116:

mes_deux_amours
by Baker's Apprentice on Aug. 1, 2012 at 3:14 PM
Oh ok. I'll try

Quoting michiganmom116:

Too much honey will definitely cause the yeast to work (rise) faster.

The only thing I can advise about the humidity is to cut back on the liquid in the recipe by a teaspoon or two.

Quoting mes_deux_amours:

Quoting michiganmom116:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)