Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grain-free (gluten-free) bread

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 174 Total Views

DISCLAIMER:  I have not tried this in a bread machine...yet.  The recipe makes a small loaf and I'm not sure how it would work although I will try it in the machine the next time I make it.

I tried a simple recipe yesterday and tweaked it a bit to suit our tastes, using unblanched almond meal instead of blanched almond meal that the original recipe used.  The verdict:  it resembled whole wheat bread in looks, taste and texture.  (My daughter said it actually tastes better than wheat bread.)

Grain-Free Bread - makes one loaf
  • 1 1/2 cups almond meal
  • 2 Tbsp. coconut flour
  • 1/4 c. golden flax seed meal (I used Bob's Red Mill brand)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/4 c. melted butter
  • 1 Tbsp. honey
  • 1 Tbsp. white vinegar
Mix dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.  Add rest of ingredients and mix until well combined.  Pour into a greased 7.5" x 3.5" loaf pan (and grease that pan VERY well!!!)
Bake at 350° for 30 minutes until loaf tests done with a pick.  (I had to bake mine for 45 minutes.)

Use knife and serving spatula around the edges to loosen the loaf if needed.  Remove from pan.  Cool and serve.

by on Aug. 12, 2012 at 4:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
michiganmom116
by Bakery owner on Aug. 18, 2012 at 7:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I made this in my bread machine this week.  The pan is bigger than the size called for in the recipe, so the loaf turned out flatter than when made in the smaller loaf pan, but the recipe did work on the Quick Bread setting. 

I may try it again in the bread machine, but I want to increase the ingredients by 50% to get a bigger loaf.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)