Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you introduce water and/or a sippy cup?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 413 Total Views

My daughter will be 6 months in a few days & I was wondering when you could start giving them water to drink or if they even need it at this age? Also, should I be introducing a sippy yet? Thanks!

by on Jul. 21, 2010 at 3:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2be77
by on Jul. 21, 2010 at 3:54 PM
My dd is 5 month and already uses a sippy cup and one with a straw I started giving her water at about 3 month like an 1oz a day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
keeler_s
by Member on Jul. 23, 2010 at 1:16 AM

I have been giving my daughter a sippy with water in it for almost a month and she will be 6 months in 4 days. I am also going to start putting her formula in there small amounts at a time of course.

Kallie just sips on it she doesnt drink a ton she is still trying to get the hang of it but we were told to go ahead and start that water was great for her and to try putting her formula in there she absolutely hates that =) I would ask her pedi.

adamko84
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2010 at 7:24 PM

Technically they don't need any water or other liquids yet for a while, save giving her water for a hot day and only give her a little tiny bit. Too much can mess with her blood and can be toxic. If you want to practice with the cup use formula or breast milk, and ask her pediatrician when it's okay to start water. Answers will vary but the general consesus is that they dont' need anything else at this point.

annaica
by Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 8:37 PM

juice is introduced at 6 months usually around then at least... i would assume water is the same story! i began giving DD diluted juice a month ago- at 5 months.

LinzLou86
by on Sep. 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM
My DD is 5 months and I give her diluted juice 3 oz water 1 oz juice she seems to like it and it helps when she is blocked up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kmejia10
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM

I bought a training sippy cup by tommee tipee last month. It's almost shaped like a nipple but she's 7 months and still not quite getting the hang of it. But she loves water straight from a cup, esp on hot days or after solids.

06-07mom
by on Oct. 24, 2010 at 2:22 PM

They do not need anything but breast milk or formula to drink at this point but if you would like to offer her a sippy for her to "play" with to get use to I would suggest water in it! I have always done this. Hope that helps!

lyrarayne
by New Member on Nov. 9, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I have been giving mine 1 4 oz cup of water a day for the last couple of months. Maybe every other day I'll let her have 4 oz of juice instead of the water but I try to limit it to one 4 oz liquid (aside from her formula every day).

JacobsMommy05
by New Member on Nov. 11, 2010 at 6:35 PM

My daughter is 9 months and just started teething so I just started giving her a sippy cup a few weeks ago. She likes it but its more for play then anything else. Also for her to get use to it so when I take the bottle away it won't be so hard...with my son it was not fun.  I put diluted juice in it and it helps her gums feel better. Before she started teething I didn't give her a sippy,didn't feel a need.

MommaNuney
by on Nov. 16, 2010 at 8:14 AM

I started Makenzie on it when she was 4 months (just water) then at 6 month started juice/diluted. We are now trying to transition off the bottle, but she won't take anything but water (sometimes juice) in her sippy. Maybe once we can start whole milk she'll take that from her sippy. If the formula is in the cup, she will NOT drink it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)