Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What am I, chopped liver?

Posted by on Apr. 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 212 Total Views

I work for a university and am currently working on three major projects.  I had a meeting scheduled with a Director (I am "only" a manager) and he never showed up and never called.  This isn't the first time and it pisses me off.  I can promise you he would never do this to a Dean....My time is valuable and I have other people I need to meet with on this project.  He has been ringing my phone this morning wanting to meet....I am not answering, asshole!

Does anyone else have issues like this?  How do you handle it when it's someone who is higher up than you?  I can't exactly tell him what I think, although I would LOVE to....

by on Apr. 29, 2010 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
MariaLynnTN
by New Member on Apr. 30, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Sorry you have problems with your co-worker, and hope he learns his lesson! Hope you get your projects done as well.

I don't have the meetings problem, but I do have the 'return my emails' and/or 'get stuff DONE' problem with my direct supervisor.  I work in  a department in a large hardware store - it's hard to explain my position - it is supposed to be parallel to the department manager, but he has some duties and privileges I don't get.   I bring up important things that I can't do.  For example: I see something not coming in for three weeks - and that means we should call a buyer for the product and ask 'what the hell?'.  But I can't make that call - it has to be from the department manager or a store manager.  I send him emails, leave him notes and still he leaves them sit for about a week - until the head manager gets on his *** about empty shelves - and then it's an uncomfortable 'I told you so' moment. 

But he isn't held accountable - and it gets on my nerves.  We've run out of major classes of product (stuff people need to repair plumbing) three times this year alone - things I foresaw before it got to obvious, and he ignored me.    Or - he comes in for the day and doesn't do ANYTHING - just wander around, hang out back and smoke and talk on his cell phone.  And I'm bustling around trying to keep things in order, ordered, sorted, help customers, check shipments etc.    I've already had the training for his job - but I need to wait for something to happen or another department to open up.  Sometimes I use a similar manager (diff department, same level) to get work done we have to get done when my manager is gone/missing/dawdling.  It has been agreed by lots of the other managers  that I am the one doing the actual work and he is going to lose his job sooner or later...  The only person keeping him in his job is the head manager who sees himself  20 years ago - same age, same department.  He thinks 'He's young - he'll figure this out and focus in a year or two.'

*growl* I am the full time working mom who wants and does the job.. he's the 21 year old drink all night race cars kid.  And he gets paid more than I do.  For less work.

So, I feel like chopped liver, too!

~Maria

DD born 11/04/2007

marshsmom
by Group Admin on Apr. 30, 2010 at 10:41 AM

I always think about that movie 9 to 5 with Dolly Parton....wouldn't you love to get back at these guys?  LOL, I would love to pull a 9 to 5 on a few people I work with :)

kathreensmommy
by on May. 21, 2010 at 8:58 PM

That really sucks I'm sorry about that!

Momyplease
by Member on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Well . I have not had this experience in the company I work for . We believe everyone's time is valuable down to the last person. Its every citizen's of our company right be be treated with the same attention as a manger or GM or DM would. In your place I would look into my company manual guide and see what it can be done and fallow the proper chain of command. But first I would have a heart to heart with my boss.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)