Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

On our way :-)

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:54 PM
  • 14 Replies
  • 430 Total Views

HI!

I am SO glad I found this forum! I'm moving with hubby (who is currently in WOC school) to Ft Rucker in the beginning of August. I have some questions that only other mamas can answer :-)

I'm keen on living on post, mainly because I'll be SAHM for the first time since my son was born 19 months ago and I want to really have the sence of community and security. I've read a lot about the old houses and hoping for a remodeled one... I think we'll get our assignment in the next week or so.

Does anyone have any good advice? My DH seems to think off post would be cheaper?? But can you use the child care and all the amenites on base if you are off post?

Thanks in advance! I'm really excited for my DH to have gotten into flight school and I can't wait to get to warmer weather from Northern CA :-) bow down

Jess

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amanda115
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:16 PM

First of all welcome to Rucker :) I came here from Colorado and I like it a lot.

When we moved here we chose to live off post because we were not impressed with the houses at all. They seem small and old, even the new ones look like modular homes. But, there is a perk to living on post too, you have access to the pools (there is a new one that is beautiful), you are closed to everyone and you will have neighbors with children and if nothing else you will be around other spouses you can hang out with.

We live in a neighborhood that is mostly older people so we haven't really gotten to know many of our neighbors and Rucker is a good drive away. But we do live a beautiful home in Cotton Creek so you just have to choose what is more important. If I could do it all over again I would live on post, it seems nice to be around other military families :)

diverjess
by Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Thanks Amanda! The main reason I want to be on post is to be close to everything and have access to the pool etc. I can deal with a smaller house, we live in a tiny 2 bdr cabin right now.... I hear you can get some great deals off post. I guess we can always change our mind :-)

TjsbabiegirljT
by Group Owner on Jun. 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM

it mostly depends on your rank IMO as to if its worth it to live off post, my husband is lower enlisted and we checked and unless we wanted to live in ozark away from EVERYTHING we couldn't find a house as big as what we have on post for what we pay for ours on post. If you take the older housing (even remondeled I believe) you get 250 back a month of your BAH, they're not the greatest and somedays I think I'd kill for a real dining room and laundry room but i love being so close to everything and we use hardly any gas for my husband to go to work etc. 

diverjess
by Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Cool, than you for your input! My hubby will be in flight school, so I don't even know what the BAH would be, he doesn't have phone priviliges right now so can't call me. I have a long list of questions for him LOL!

We have been renting a very small cabin in Tahoe for the past 4 years and we are used to small, no storage and cheap :-) So I think even an old house would be cool. I just really wanted to be on base to be close to everything...

I'll probably be ther mid-August, so up for play dates etc!!

senecahart
by Member on Jun. 29, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Welcome!

Quoting diverjess:

Cool, than you for your input! My hubby will be in flight school, so I don't even know what the BAH would be

For W-1's, its 1257. 

, he doesn't have phone priviliges right now so can't call me. I have a long list of questions for him LOL!

We have been renting a very small cabin in Tahoe for the past 4 years and we are used to small, no storage and cheap :-) So I think even an old house would be cool. I just really wanted to be on base to be close to everything...

We lived off post during flight school (here) but living on post doesn't really suit us well.  IMO, for the money, you could do better off post than on (in the older housing at least), but if you prefer on post, that's understandable.

diverjess
by Member on Jun. 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Great, thanks! Should know about the housing next Friday. We'll see what we get offered, if I don't like it I can always start looking off post :-)

Quoting senecahart:

Welcome!

Quoting diverjess:

Cool, than you for your input! My hubby will be in flight school, so I don't even know what the BAH would be

For W-1's, its 1257. 

, he doesn't have phone priviliges right now so can't call me. I have a long list of questions for him LOL!

We lived off post during flight school (here) but living on post doesn't really suit us well.  IMO, for the money, you could do better off post than on (in the older housing at least), but if you prefer on post, that's understandable.

diverjess
by Member on Jul. 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM

I finally got to talk to hubby today and the date is set; he comes home on August 4th to help with the move, should be at Ft Rucker around th 15th or so. Excited, but at the same time sad to leave family and friends behind.....

Brittany.Dann
by Group Admin on Jul. 11, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I can't wait for you to get here!

newmommy720
by Member on Jul. 11, 2010 at 12:48 PM

we will be there on the 12 :) let me know when you get in!

diverjess
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:06 PM

OK, scoot over neighbors LOL! I just talked to housing and we are getting a classic home. I'm really excited, 2 extra bedrooms! Now I can bring all our office stuff and set up a room for hubby AND a guest roomI should receive the floor plans and what neighbor hood I'll be in later today. Apparently they won't give you the address until we actually show up there on the 13th.

Once I'm in, you can come over for Swedish cinnamon buns :-) Yes, I'm a foreigner.... That's why my spelling is so bad!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)