Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Worried about my DD.

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 266 Total Views

My DD, Piper, is soon to be 6 years at the end of this month. She was diagnosed with Social Anxiety at 3 yrs and we had a big issue in Pre-K with her anxiety. But this year we put her in cheerleading to help her break out of the social anxiety. And it really worked. She has been speaking up in class, raising her hand to answer questions and not locking up when asked a question in front of her classmates.

However... I noticed the girls last year in pre-k already beginning to make friends and I have definitely seen it this year when I go to her class for their parties. But my daughter has no special friends she wants to invite over, that she plays with on the playground or talks about. When I ask her who her friends are she names off everyone in her class. And I see her talk to just about everyone around her. So she isn't shy. She plays with everyone, she talks to everyone but only if they seek her out.

But she isn't making that one or two special friend(s) that she wants to visit or talk about all the time. I know by this age I had a few friends that I really enjoyed and clung to. Should I go back to her therapist? Or is it because of me? I have social anxiety too (hence where she inherited it). I work and go to school full time and have no friends (not by choice). I am just worried about her.

Pregnancy%20ticker

by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
jclovinlife
by Member on Mar. 2, 2011 at 12:36 PM
sounds like ur doing all the right things. Maybe you could try setting up playdates or afterschool park trips with some of the kids and moms in her class. She will probably come around.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leomommy1325
by on Mar. 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM

My little girl who will be 6 in May doesn't have a friend that she wants to invite over either.  She gets along with everyone, but when asked who she plays with the most at school she'll name a couple of different girls.  She does dancing once a week and knows one girl there that's in Jr. Kindergarten at her school plus 2 of her second cousins are there, but they don't go to school yet. I think cheerleading was a wonderful idea for your daughter whom I think is just shy and will come out of her shell. 

gregheather
by on Mar. 3, 2011 at 3:41 PM

My DD is the same way - she likes everyone and gets along with everyone, but no special friend yet. Next year she'll have an almost all new set of kids so maybe it will be different.

kdgord
by Member on Mar. 4, 2011 at 11:27 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much at all. This coming from my own experience in school. I never had  one really special friend in school until high school that I wanted to invite over. I talked to everyone and was better friends with the boys through all my years in school but never really wanted to invite any of them over. The only "close" friend I had at a young age was because we were pretty much forced together by our parents and really, I wasn't very thrilled most of the time because I was forced to play with her even when I just wanted to be by myself. As long as she is talking to the other kiddos and having fun at school I wouldn't worry and wouldn't pressure her at all. She will find a close friend when she meets the right friend.

MommyCannon
by on Mar. 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Thanx ladies.

Fri night she had her 1st sleep over. When we got there she immediately ditched us to go play with the other girls. That made me feel better even though Mama's feelings were hurt that she didn't even tell me bye or give me a kiss. LMBO. And she stayed the whole night without asking for me. So that for her is a major step from how she used to be and I am so proud of her. And she really wants to play again with the twin girls (the ones who the slumber party was for). That is awesome.

She is just changing so fast. And getting into an age I kinda don't understand. Which is why I joined this group.

Pregnancy%20ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)