Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I being overprotective?

Posted by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 237 Total Views

My son is 6 and I'm looking into summer programs with our city parks & rec dept.  They have a lot of fun activities and one I know he'd enjoy is a week long "camp" during the day, they do sports and activities and swimming & it's from 8-5 every day for a week (or all summer, depending on what you want to pay for).

I know the instructors are certified life guards and have all the proper training but they're just teenagers so I'm not sure I feel comfortable enough to send him, they're supposed to have so many "adults" per child but last year at the summer lessons they had groups there and I think that's what makes me more nervous. 

Do you think 6 is too young to be gone all day or am I being overprotective?  Also, he'll be in with a mixed-age group of kids, the camps are for ages 6-12, not sure how I feel about it. What would you do? How would you feel? Any input appreciated.

by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
leomommy1325
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 2:15 PM

I was nervous when I signed my daughter who will be 6 next month up for swimming lessons at the local pool last summer.  I am overprotective as she's my only child that I'll ever be able to have. She absolutely loved it, but I wasn't one of those parents that just left her and picked her up after.  I stayed the entire 3 hours and watched her every day.  What I thought was stupid was that she wasn't allowed to use water wings-swimmies, whatever you want to call them.  They were in the big pool and the lowest end is 3 ft., 9 inches.  My daughter's  41 inches tall or 3 ft. 5 inches tall so it was a little over her head plus she was scared to death the first time she lost grip of the pool noodle and went under.  Now she's cool with it and will go under on purpose as she did several times at the local high school's pool during the winter when they have family swim time.  I bought swimmies for our upcoming trip to Indiana to watch my brother get married.  I wasn't nervous about teens teaching her because I took swimming lessons at the beach when I was a kid and the instructors were certified teens.  They were great with her just like Jackie and Seanie were with me.

kcook55
by on Apr. 19, 2011 at 8:52 PM

whats the difference between him being at this camp than being at school or daycare? i dont see the difference.and teenagers work with my son and other kindergartners all the time at school

lish2127
by Member on Apr. 24, 2011 at 10:43 PM

I'd like to say you're being overprotective and you should go ahead and send him because it will be fun, but I feel the same way! I've been considering sending him to some kind of day camp this summer but I definitely want to feel comfortable that he is being supervised. I know when I was a kid and did summer rec all of the activities were optional so we could just wander off and nobody really paid attention. Not saying that will happen, but it makes me a little paranoid. I'm a SAHM and my son has never went to daycare or even had a babysitter other than family...so sending him off with teenagers overseeing him just isn't on top of my list although I know they can be fun too. Plus just from riding the bus with older kids this year he's picked up quite a few things. I don't have much advice, but you're not alone.

DaphneMae
by Member on Apr. 25, 2011 at 2:41 PM
I think he's too young to be in a class with 12+ year olds. Who knows what he'd learn.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oahoah
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 12:35 AM

Thanks ladies for sharing your thoughts & opinions. DH & I talked about it and we're not quite ready but I did find a couple of 3-hour science camps geared specifically towards k-1st graders that we feel good about.  Since he's our first it is a little harder to figure this out! I'm sure it'll be much easier when his little brother's are that age! (lol-not really)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)