Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tragedy and Blessings!!!

Posted by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM
  • 0 Replies
  • 163 Total Views

Ok, so for Christmas, my six-year old, Isaiah got a winter white hamster. He named her She-She. She is fun, likes to interact and Isaiah adores her.

Two months later, he had been requesting a mate for She-She, so he got one for his birthday. He named him Eggroll. Eggroll is nippy, not sociable, and Isaiah refused to handle him for the most part, leaving Eggroll alone while Isaiah and She-She "played".

We spent a week keeping the hamsters together on our watch and some spans of time while we were away to make sure they would get along, and they did wonderfully.

Then, something went terribly wrong. We can home one day last week to find Eggroll on his back dead with his torso practically gnawed away. I know, awful. It is the first thing you see when you walk in our house, so of course Isaiah saw. He was devastated. We talked with him and DH cleaned out the tank. As Isaiah started to put new bedding in the tank and set it back up, he chastised She-She like a child! He told her (in his exact words) that she was "evil and destructive" and that we had bought her a husband and she killed him.

I think I called everyone in my phone that night. Isaiah spent the next couple of  feeding She-She and completely ignoring her. So on Monday, we spent a family day at Six Flags and came home that evening. When I got in the house, Isaiah went stomping up the steps in an effort to give She-She the silent treatment still. So I go to check on her. I SCREAMED at the top of my lungs for Isaiah to come back. I saw a little pink body under She-She. Upon further inspection, we found eight babies!

Isaiah's love for She-She has been reignited. She and the babies are doing well; she has not eaten any of them. Isaiah knows he cannot touch She-She and the babies for several weeks, but he can hardly contain himself.

Eggroll wakes up for a pic

She-She on the left

by on Apr. 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN