Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is your child ready for 1st grade?

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM
  • 8 Replies
  • 278 Total Views

Well we are on the downward slide towards the end of kindergarten already.  Right now there is reviewing of all the basic stuff learned throughout the year and introducing some new things in preparing for first grade.  We started homeschooling after spring break (6 weeks ago now) and have roughly 3-4 more weeks left of work.  It's so hard to believe and definitely not the way I envisioned at the start of the school year.  Do your kids have to pass a test or do you have an end-of-the year conference scheduled?  Homeschooling calls for testing every other year beginning the end of 1st grade but I may test him at the end of this year just to see if he's on track.  I know the year's not over yet but were your expectations of kindergarten for your child met?  How has it been different than when you were in kindergarten? Just curious!

by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sailfishmommy
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 12:54 AM

My son is in kindergarten, and they have to do 2 tests I think it is. One called a "dibels" test, not sure if I spelled it right, and I cant remember another. To see where they are. When we went to our last parent teacher conferance, his teacher informed us that he's "done for the year" as far as he's already working on 1st grade stuff. They get homework every week, and I think that helps. But she showed us his folder and charts on where they have to be by a certain time and he's way above. I was so happy, my husband was worried about him not being ready for kindergarten.

mom2maryjoseph
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 9:23 AM

I'm not sure if they have any test or not.  It is a very small private school.  Next year he will be in the public school system.  I know we will have a year end phone conference.  He graduates May 8th.  He was in their advance K-5 room so they are suppose to be where the first 6 weeks of 1st grade is review work for them.  I just know I'm going to miss his teacher.  She has been wonderful to work with this year.

kcook55
by on Apr. 27, 2011 at 3:30 PM

my son wont be going to first grade he will be going to kindergarten he was put in a special program for kids with delays to prepare him for kindergarten and i think hes more than ready. he has an iep for speech for over half of the year his teacher thought he was being a "problem child" not listening or following directions etc... turns out he wasn't understanding most of what was being asked of him. i told them in august he needed his speech tested they refused to listen to me i'm just the mom and know nothing. in fact they tested every other kindergartener for speech except my son. when they finally tested him he scores where way below normal for a 5 your old. 5 yr score should be somewhere around 90 or more his speech score was 52. and iq should have been around 90 as well his iq was 118 hes very smart but his speech is way below normal. they where looking for a gap of 25 or more points. they are afraid his teacher will think hes being the "problem child" and he will get in trouble alot. so i'm supposed to let the teacher know if there are any problems which there probably will be. they said i can ask for a review at any time and add things i think will help him. the teacher is supposed to step down to his level and tell him what hes supposed to do in a loud clear voice but using as simple words as possible. while they are working with him on speech hes supposed to have it 2 days a week

leomommy1325
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 6:11 AM
  • Everything's so much different than when I was in Kindergarten.  I think there's higher expectations now.  As far as I know, there's no end of the year test - just a review of everything and no parent-teacher conference has been scheduled.  At her Committee on Special Education (CSE) meeting, it was suggested that my daughter who will be 6 next month, take summer school.  For the most part, she's doing awesome, but she's still got some delays in fine and gross motor skills which is why the local school district labeled her "special needs". 
leomommy1325
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 6:24 AM

I'm sorry you're having such problems with this program.  They should be listening to you.  That's what I love about my daughter's school.  They involve me in everything unlike the program she was in last year that I couldn't wait for her to get out of.  It was just scary with a kid that tried to choke her, liar teachers and aides and kids that weren't developmentally on her level.  She has fine and gross motor skills and at 4 was having tolieting accidents so they wouldn't accept her in regular junior kindergarten.  She had to go to developmental kindergarten.  I think my divorce is why she had so many accidents though my ex and I have been divorced nearly all of her life.  We got divorced when she was 20 months old and she'll be 6 next month.

Quoting kcook55:

my son wont be going to first grade he will be going to kindergarten he was put in a special program for kids with delays to prepare him for kindergarten and i think hes more than ready. he has an iep for speech for over half of the year his teacher thought he was being a "problem child" not listening or following directions etc... turns out he wasn't understanding most of what was being asked of him. i told them in august he needed his speech tested they refused to listen to me i'm just the mom and know nothing. in fact they tested every other kindergartener for speech except my son. when they finally tested him he scores where way below normal for a 5 your old. 5 yr score should be somewhere around 90 or more his speech score was 52. and iq should have been around 90 as well his iq was 118 hes very smart but his speech is way below normal. they where looking for a gap of 25 or more points. they are afraid his teacher will think hes being the "problem child" and he will get in trouble alot. so i'm supposed to let the teacher know if there are any problems which there probably will be. they said i can ask for a review at any time and add things i think will help him. the teacher is supposed to step down to his level and tell him what hes supposed to do in a loud clear voice but using as simple words as possible. while they are working with him on speech hes supposed to have it 2 days a week

SeanandNoahsmom
by on Apr. 28, 2011 at 11:41 AM

My son does have some kind of testing at the end of the year; not sure what though. Since he is in an advanced kindergarten in a charter school, I am thinking he should be ready. They tested him soon after entering a standard kindergarten, because he does excel in math. He tested at 4th grade level, but just in math. But they moved him to a new,advanced classroom anyway after the Christmas break.

alaskansglmom
by Member on Apr. 30, 2011 at 12:06 AM

My daughter is ready for first grade. I think she has been ready for a while. I have tried to get her tested to see where exactly she is at but the teacher told me that they dont do that until third grade.

lish2127
by Member on May. 24, 2011 at 10:38 AM

My son has done really well this year. He has really surprised both the teacher and myself with his reading...he caught on so quickly. He is younger and started at age 4 so I wasn't sure how the year would go, but I am really impressed with how much he has learned and his excitement to learn more. I know the teacher tests them every quarter to see that they've met the requirements and he got "excellent" in almost every category last quarter. There are a few things I wish he would catch on to better, but he is definitely ready for 1st grade.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)