Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ADHD?

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 2:54 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 158 Total Views

We have been having issues with my son and school. He is six; first grade; only child. When he is home, and it is just him and my DH and I, he is just fine. He can do his homework and read, though we have to remind him several times to stay on task. He is quite delightful and always super happy; no problem there. However, when he is at school, the teacher is constantly reminding him to pay attention and to do what he is supposed to do. We had a parent-teacher conference recently, and the story is the same as last year (He is a joy to have in class, very sweet; if only he could sit still and pay attention). He isn't bad, just very chatty and moves a lot. He forgets things after a couple minutes if he is doing something else. And for the life of me, he canNOT keep still. When he is punished or in timeout, he forgets he is in timeout and starts playing.

His kindergarten teacher hinted over a year ago that I should get him checked for ADD/ADHD and put on medication. That completely pissed me off. However, the problem seems to be getting worse. We are punishing him more and more in response to the notes home from school, but I am really thinking that something may be wrong, and he really can't help it. I have been adament about not drugging kids and have swore that parents have been unnecessarily medicating children for just being children. I am to the point now where I still think all other avenues should be exhausted, but I don't want to deny my son learning in school because he literally cannot focus. I have seen a couple posts where some moms have said they wished their parents had got them some help for ADD/ADHD because they missed out on a lot. I don't want to be that parent.

How did you know something wasn't quite right? What process did you have to go through? What is/was the outcome?

by on Nov. 29, 2011 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
gregheather
by on Dec. 4, 2011 at 9:23 PM

I would check with a doctor/nutritionist first - sometimes behavior can be changed through diet. What is his diet like? Certain food dyes (like red) can aggravate the issue.

ikesmommy
by on Dec. 5, 2011 at 10:26 AM

Other than meat, everything he eats is straight out the ground and mayble steamed or baked :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)