Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

Local Field trips

Posted by on May. 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM
  • 14 Replies

Gather a group of kids & moms from the neighborhood and arrange a field trip to your local grocery store.

We went to Publix and it was wonderful!!!! The thing I most remember is our tour guide told the kids to EAT THEIR COLORS when it came to fruits & veggies.

I believe Walmart conduct similar tours. And banks, waste management plants, city hall.....

When thinking of local field trips.....just ask a local business. You might be surprised!!!!!

by on May. 12, 2010 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
xxLukesMamaxx
by on May. 12, 2010 at 7:40 AM

That's neat! I didn't know they did that. We have a publix too, are you in Florida?

natesmom1228
by on May. 12, 2010 at 8:08 AM

Sounds like you had a great time.

owensmom34
by on May. 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM

That is a neat idea!  I never would of thought to do that!  The grocery stores are many times generous to kids too in giving them some freebies!  :)

bhwrn1
by on May. 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM

This is a neat idea, but I would never go to our local grocery store b/c it's too small.

Carey2006
by on May. 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Southeast Georgia

Quoting xxLukesMamaxx:

That's neat! I didn't know they did that. We have a publix too, are you in Florida?

Carey2006
by on May. 12, 2010 at 10:18 AM

Yes.....publix gave them popcorn, a cookie and a goodie bag when the tour was over....crayons & a coloring book.

Quoting owensmom34:

That is a neat idea!  I never would of thought to do that!  The grocery stores are many times generous to kids too in giving them some freebies!  :)

FrogSalad
by on May. 12, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I just found out there is a small organic dairy (they make gouda cheese) just outside of my town.  I talked to one of the owners at a local festival and he told me to call when I wanted to bring my son out and they would love to show us around.

krystlewv
by on May. 12, 2010 at 6:43 PM

We are taking our kids from our local playgroup to a gem mine on saturday, should be fun!

steelcrazy
by on May. 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM

We do this often with Cub Scouts, just be sure to call the place a few weeks before you want the tour because they usually only have one or two people who do this job and it needs to be scheduled.  Local fire and police deparments do group tours as well as some tv and radio stations.  Farmers are usually more flexable and you don't have to call as far in advance with them.

AM-BRAT
by on May. 13, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Quoting owensmom34:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)