Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

Have any of you ever stayed in a cabin for Christmas?

Posted by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM
  • 8 Replies

My family and I are planning to rent a cabin in a State Park about an hour and a half away from our home for Christmas week this year.  I was wondering if any of you have ever done this and if you have a tips or suggestions.  I suppose it might be helpful to add that I have 2 kiddos, ages 5 and 8, my oldest has Aspergers Syndrome so advanced planning is a must for him and the other has Anxiety disorder.  I'd be very interested in meal planning ideas, games, etc.

by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
elasmimi
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I have never spent Christmas away from home, but it sounds fun. A lot depends on how fully equipped the cabin is. Meal planning would be a priority for us. Are there any winter activities in the area you'll want to participate in? Let us know how the planning goes.

tabs852
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:07 PM
1 mom liked this
That's a dream if mine! My family would die if I took my kids away from them during Christmas. I can just see my mom stuffing herself into our luggage.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabs852
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Oh, there are some cabins that will do all of your grocery shopping for you so that everything is bought & put away before your arrival. I know Blue Mountain Lodge is one of them but that's a lot of cabins all side by side... I'm sure your wanting to be a little more secluded than that?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM
It sounds like fun. I would choose some easy meals that you can freeze and bring along. We're going camping in the badlands this summer, and we're going to take pre-cooked sloppy joe meat, taco meat, and pulled pork. We'll also do some crockpot meals.
liveforever
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 7:29 PM

That sounds like fun. Ive never gone away for Christmas. I agree with a pp to make easy meals or even prep/cook them ahead of time so they are easily thrown together. 

Ambear72
by on Apr. 14, 2012 at 11:35 PM

I havent done it as an adult, but when I was about 11 my Dads side of the family rented a cabin and we had a big Family Reunion.  It was wonderful and we had a great time.  I loved spending christmas at the cabin with our family.  Its one of my most memorable christmases.  My parents gave us out gifts before we left. (we traveled from California to Colorado) and they hid our "SANTA" gifts in the truck before we left.  I would totally recommend it!.

mrswillie
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I have never but it sounds great!

Dawne98
by on Apr. 15, 2012 at 2:57 PM

When I was a teen we would up to one the day after Christmas it was a lot of fun we would stay until New years day. Skiing and just going out in the snow:)

My mom did all the cooking and we would get the food when got up to the cabin. Have fun:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)