Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

Do you use public transportation on your trips?

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

Tips for vacations using public transportation

Tips for better trips

In 2011, 54 percent of travelers surveyed by the American Public Transportation Associationplanned to use mass transit on their summer vacation. Of the 34,460 respondents, 65 percent said that the availability of public transportation influenced their choice of destination. The group’s sister site, www.publictransportation.org, is a great resource for finding systems in every state, from urban rail networks to rural bus loops.

Here are a few tips for using public transit, culled from personal experience and the APTA experts:

● Look into transit day passes. You’ll get unlimited trips and won’t have to worry about carrying exact change. Just read the fine print: Some aren’t valid during rush hour, and others must be shown to employees before boarding.

●On your phone, use apps such as Google Maps or HopStop to plan your routes. Check whether the transit system has a mobile site with real-time arrivals and timetables.

●Don’t be afraid to hoard a little paper. Brochures and maps can be lifesavers when your phone battery is wheezing after a long day on the move.

Ask for help. Station managers and tourism ambassadors are there for a reason.

●If you’re traveling as a family, hold on to your children so that no one gets left behind. Make sure they know your basic contact information in case you get separated.

●Visit the transit system Web site before you go. Many have visitor guides with important information for out-of-towners.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
elasmimi
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:28 AM

Depends on where we are. We could never get around in London w/o the tube, but other places not so much

mrswillie
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Last summer we went to Williamsburg and stayed at a campground.  It cost $1.50 per day to ride the bus all day.  Our kids loved it because we had 7 days passes to Busch gardens and Water Country USA.  They could come and go when they wanted.  Dh and I did the same.

EmilyMarshall
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:40 AM
bump

tabs852
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Good information!! We almost always drive so we have a car but I'm sure there will come a time when we won't... Get this, I've NEVER been in a taxi.. OR in a subway.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:30 PM
We used the subway in Montreal and Paris. It really depends on where we are visiting.
liveforever
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Depending on what city were in. 

For big cities with well established public transit, yes. They were life savers in Chicago and Toronto. It was nice to avoid the traffic and not pay for parking everywhere. 

When we go to other smaller cities like Pittsburgh and Detroit we just drive.

mrswillie
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM

Quoting tabs852:

Good information!! We almost always drive so we have a car but I'm sure there will come a time when we won't... Get this, I've NEVER been in a taxi.. OR in a subway.

WOW! I have been riding DC metro since I was about 13.

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

mrjonesii
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 7:26 AM

We have. 

Jessica020410
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Good tips! We haven't, but not saying we won't ever.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)