Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

What reason do you have for needing a vacation right now?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:42 AM
  • 2 Replies

Vacation is necessary

Body, mind and spirit all need a reboot. Here's why vacation matters for health and healing.

Tue, May 08 2012 at 11:31 AM EST

People in a boat on a canal in Amsterdam enjoying their vacation. Photo: Werner Kunz/Flickr
Why is it that so many of us don't take vacations? After returning from a glorious five nights and six days in Barbados, I realized that I didn't really "miss" that much going on in my regular life. You know, the things that seem so important and all-consuming that we don't take vacations because we are afraid of missing them? Turns out that exactly three things happened while I was away, most of them minor, none of them that couldn't be addressed via a decent WiFi signal.

That's not the only thing I realized while "away from it all" at a small guesthouse in the Scotland District (picture rugged mountains, jungley forests and crashing waves) on the non-touristy side of Barbados. Here is my "stop making excuses and get out of town" list — and if it only serves as a reminder to myself and does nobody else any good at all, then so be it. But hopefully this will inspire you to book a ticket, ponder some maps, pull up the Amtrak site and peruse, or hit the trail you've been meaning to. 

Deep rest is incredibly clarifying: A few nights of sleep in a place where all you can hear is the waves pounding, the frogs peeping, or the leaves brushing against each other in the wind, combined with resting for as long as you like is calming and resets the mind and body. By the fourth and fifth nights of my stay, I was sleeping earlier and rising earlier, feeling fully rested and feeling like I wasn't fighting perpetual daytime sleepiness. I felt I could definitely think more clearly. 

Not thinking about my problems helped me solve them: I am, like many modern Americans, pretty absorbed with what I see as the problems and issues in my life, many of them (pretty much all of them!) related to how I feel about my career and work circumstances. Being away from the stresses inherent in my life — I would say here I have a moderately, but not crazy-stressful life — made me see what was really important, and what wasn't. Writing my next book is important; worrying over covering every single topic on my "to do" list is not. 

My creativity was boosted: New faces, places, smells and tastes — not to mention rest and staring at the ocean for a few minutes every hour — got me to a place where I could open up and allow the flow of creative ideas that every writer needs but can't always access. Even if you are not working in a "creative" field like the arts or entertainment, tapping into your creativity releases a sense of playfulness, fun and can help with sorting through challenges. 

Time away from being online is more valuable than I realized: I love being online more than the average person — and I have been blogging for more than a decade. I think social media is genuinely fun (and I have family scattered all over the globe, so I look forward to catching up with them that way). But my photography projects, eating delicious food and having great conversations with my boyfriend are just plain more enriching than the equivalent amount of time spent online. I'm not going to go offline, but I think evenings after 10 p.m. are going to be "me time" from now on.
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mrswillie
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Because I need a break...someone to wait on me.

bnsilly
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM

All the stuff in the article.......and

I have been separated for over a year, dealing with all the stress of that, plus raising my 2 sweet teenage girls alone...plus planning my daughter's graduation party....plus planning the grad night event for 400 seniors....

Yep. Need a vacation....NOW!   floating in poolmargarita time

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)