Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

America's most endangered historic places

Posted by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:27 AM
  • 6 Replies

America's most endangered historic places

The National Trust for Historic Preservation on Wednesday named its annual list of America's 11 most endanagered places and this year the list includes the birthplace of Malcolm X and a gym where boxing legend Joe Frazier once trained.

The Washington, D.C.-based National Trust’s 25th annual roster also includes historic United States Post Office buildings that are threatened by neglect, as well as Ohio's Zoar Village, a historic town threatened to flooding if a protective levee is removed and the deteriorating Ellis Island Hospital Complex in New York City's harbor, which received millions of people looking to emigrate to the U.S. 

Only a handful of the more than 230 sites that have been listed have been lost, but the annual list is a reminder of many factors threatening the nation’s architectural, cultural and natural heritage sites. 

“We hope this year’s list inspires people to speak out for the important places in their own communities that help to define our nation’s past — and enrich its future,” Stephanie Meeks, president of the Trust, said in a statement.

by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
liveforever
by on Jun. 12, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Wow! We go right by Zoar on the way to dfs grandmas farm. I had no idea it was being threatened by flooding! Well have to stop and drive through the city sometime.

mrswillie
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 11:52 AM

It's ashame.  I would love to see the hospital on Ellis Island.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:09 PM

I never hard of Zoar, where in Ohio is it located?

elasmimi
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:11 PM

With unemployment rates soaring, why can we not do something like FDR did and pay people to restore places like Ellis Islan hospital, (which I would also love to see). Better than just paying people to sit at home, and give purpose to the lives of many folks living on welfare.

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM

I love Ellis Island.

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

Quoting elasmimi:

With unemployment rates soaring, why can we not do something like FDR did and pay people to restore places like Ellis Islan hospital, (which I would also love to see). Better than just paying people to sit at home, and give purpose to the lives of many folks living on welfare.

I know, that's what my husband does for a living, he restores historical buildings : (

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN