Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

Does your mommy guilt run high in June?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM
  • 6 Replies

Mommy Guilt Peaks In June -- No Wonder I'm a Mess!

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans on June 12, 2012 

guiltAfter nearly 13 years of Catholic school, I thought I was pretty familiar with guilt. Then came motherhood, and it blew anything those nuns could make me feel out of the water. Motherhood is one big guilt trip from the moment you find out you're pregnant (and start worrying about those martinis you knocked back last week) until ... well, I don't think it's ever going to stop.

This month, however, the guilt has been especially high, and now I know why. June is officially "The Crappiest Month When It Comes To ‘Mom Guilt’," or so says Shawna Cohen over at Mommyish. She doesn't have any proof per se, but I think she's onto something. With the end of the school year, and the beginning of summer, the mommy guilt floweth over.

Here are just 20 of the umpteen million things I've felt guilty about this month already ... and the month isn't even halfway over yet.

1. The end-of-year teacher gifts weren't personal enough.

2. I didn't attend my son's final field trip.

3. Damn, I'm bad at laundry. Not one of my son's white uniform shirts is salvageable for next year.

4. I should have volunteered more in my daughter's preschool classroom.

5. I haven't scheduled my children for enough stimulating activities this summer.

6. Oh god, have I've over scheduled my children?

7. They're watching too much television.

8. I have raised my voice/lost it way too many times with them, and they've only been out of school a couple of weeks.

9. I don't play enough with them.

10. I'm not sure when their last baths were. (Chlorine from the pool counts for something, right?)

11. We're eating takeout again! 

12. I work too much.

13. I still haven't taught my son how to tie his shoes.

14. They're not getting enough Vitamin D and sunshine.

15. When will I ever learn to apply sunscreen to them EVERYWHERE?

16. We haven't even started all of those summer learning packets the school sent home. I may have lost them.

17. I shouldn't even consider feigning sickness so I can finish "50 Shades of Grey," right?

18. I let them spend too much time on the iPad/iPhone/Wii. Their brains are turning to mush.

19. We're not soaking up enough summer fun and memories; they're childhoods won't be complete!

20. I really spend too much time worrying.

Do you find that guilt runs particularly high this time of the year? What do you feel most guilty about?

by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mrswillie
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow...That list is, well...I'm not sure what.  If someone worries that much, maybe they need professional help. lol

liveforever
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I cant say I worry about too much and I dont have mom guilt. I actually look forward to summer break so I can spend some time with dd.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM

elasmimi
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 7:01 PM

My feelings of guilt are not limited to the summer, though. They are with me every day of the year.

reindeergames
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:13 PM

LOL I must say the list of guilt was awesome & so true! But in general I do not find June to be any worse then any other month. In fact I bet I feel more guilty in the winter time such as January/Feburary when we are in the house all the time because of the snow & cold. I feel guilty because I hate snow so she should get out there more to play. She certainly watches more tv then she should because well what else are we going to do!? I should really dig out some more craft stuff & do them with her. Broke from Christmas so heading out to do something extra fun may not happen despite my want to do so. The list goes on for winter time!

la_bella_vita
by on Jun. 13, 2012 at 9:14 PM

My only guilt is sometimes I worry I don't take them enough places but I have learend we can't do something every single day, I can find fun things to do in the home and close to home

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN