Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

Do you have any GPS fail stories?

Posted by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:40 AM
  • 13 Replies

5 Worst & Most Hilarious GPS Blunders of All Time

Posted by Kiri Blakeley on June 20, 2012

Remember the days when you were driving somewhere and would take out your map and spread it upside down all over the steering wheel and then curse because you couldn't figure out where the hell you were going? Well, those days are gone, right? Now we have GPS! Hurrah! That thing is so handy. Just plug in where you want to go, sit back, and listen to the instructions. "Take a left." Okay, GPS! "Continue straight ahead." Sure enough, GPS! "Drive right into the lake." Uh, 'scuse me, GPS?

Of course, your GPS doesn't exactly SAY, "Drive right into the lake." But sometimes it sends you there anyway. Let's take a look at 5 of the most hilarious GPS blunders that got drivers "lost in translation."

Last year, three women in an SUV rental kept following their GPS instructions -- even after it sent them into a lake. The device had already sent them onto a boat launch, but much like The Office's Michael Scott, who went sailing into a lake while yelling, "The machine knows!!" the girls kept on truckin' until they drove right off the edge. "I don't know why they wouldn't question driving into a puddle that doesn't seem to end," said one puzzled rescuer. Because the machine knows!

In September, a man was driving parallel to the Metro North railroad tracks when his GPS told him to "turn right." That would mean heading right onto the tracks, but common sense cannot override the GPS, my friends. When the man's car got stuck on the tracks, he abandoned it. It was then predictably hit by an oncoming train. No one was hurt, but commuters were miffed at the hours-long delay.

Then there's all those people who can't spell -- which isn't a big deal for a map. But it is a big deal when you are plugging a name into GPS. In these cases, the machine does know. Two tourists vacationing in Italy drove 400 miles off course when they typed in the northern town of Carpi instead of the southern isle of Capri. "It's hard to understand how they managed it. I mean, Capri is an island," said a baffled government official who obviously doesn't use GPS.

Lazy spelling can also be blamed for the increase of tourists in the tiny hamlet of Lourde, France (pop. 94). Tourists looking for the world famous Catholic pilgrimmage site of Lourdes routinely forget to add the "s" and end up nowhere near their destination. In fact, tourists seem to get the worst of GPS bloopers. One convoy of tourists was sent right to the edge of a canyon cliff in Utah. They at least had the sense not to drive over it, no matter what GPS might have told them to do.

Not all GPS fails make the papers. A friend recently told me that her GPS kept telling her she was "not on a road." Since the road she was on was newer than the GPS, the device was all confused. Fortunately, she knew enough to ignore GPS rather than drive into a lake.

Do you have any GPS fail stories?

by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 6:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liveforever
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 9:39 AM

No GPS stories...but I once googled directions from New York to France...and step 23 was swim some odd miles across the Atlantic ocean. I about died laughing. Now if you do it, it says it cant calculate the directions. I wonder if someone tried and the family sued lol.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I went to a religious retreat in Ky. several years ago. I used written directions to get there, but decided to use my Garmin to get home. I went through some areas where there was still no indoor plumbing, and prople were looking at me like I was an alien. It took me 4 hours longer to get home than to get there, and I was terrified that I was going to run out of gas w/o a staion for miles.

tabs852
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 3:56 PM
My gps has messed up a few times. Luckily, I discovered how to reset it lol...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabs852
by on Jun. 22, 2012 at 3:57 PM
As for bringing me to the wrong place, nothing serious YET. I rely on my gps way too much!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessica020410
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:04 PM

No GPS stories here.

Jessica020410
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

LOL!!!

Quoting liveforever:

No GPS stories...but I once googled directions from New York to France...and step 23 was swim some odd miles across the Atlantic ocean. I about died laughing. Now if you do it, it says it cant calculate the directions. I wonder if someone tried and the family sued lol.

Jessica020410
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Oh no!

Quoting elasmimi:

I went to a religious retreat in Ky. several years ago. I used written directions to get there, but decided to use my Garmin to get home. I went through some areas where there was still no indoor plumbing, and prople were looking at me like I was an alien. It took me 4 hours longer to get home than to get there, and I was terrified that I was going to run out of gas w/o a staion for miles.

hollinicole
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM
Me and my friend was playing with it one day, we knew how to get where we needed to, and put the address in. It took us an extra 45min and all around the town and down dirt rodes. Should have only took maybe 15min to get there. Then there is the wrong address numbers, normal a mile off. And random dirt rodes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rjsmommy214
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:15 PM

the first time my gps failed i was going to a wedding ceremony. i was pissed. we missed the ceremony.

Greekmama21
by on Jun. 28, 2012 at 7:19 PM

More of a husband fail story, my husband had his phone GPS on this weekend while biking, he was supposed to meet me at Lowes... Low and behold he wound up at the main intersection it's located but it's a street over. You can see the building though. I'm waiting at the store and he calls saying he can't find it, he's at the main intersection and GPS says it's 30 minutes away by bike. I'm extremely agitated yelling in the phone (I'm in the parking lot) and tell him just to go home. I took our four year old out for organic ice cream to cool down a bit... When I ended up getting home I told him to get his butt in the car and drove him to Lowes, he felt like an idiot and I felt horrible for yelling at him... and yes, he's been to that Lowes 2-3 times before. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN