Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Summer is here! Time to get creative with fresh fruit... **recipe added**

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM
  • 29 Replies

What are some of your favorite things to make with fresh fruit? Any seasonal favorites?

I just got a ton of strawberries and made them into a fresh buttercream. Its yummy!

For cake- use any favorite mix or recipe. I used a box mix this time bc they had to be gluten free for my sister.

Frosting: Its actually written for raspberry frosting, but it works great with other fruits. The raspberry is delicious. Ive also tried it with a blackberry, blueberry, raspberry mix...very yummy! The recipe works the same for any fruit.

Ingredients:

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 12 ounces of raspberries (fresh or frozen) 
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • 1-2 tablespoons whole milk, room temperature (if needed)

Put the raspberries in a small sauce pan and cook over medium heat stirring with a spoon until they break down into a sauce. Pour the sauce through a fine mesh strainer to take out the seeds and then put the seedless sauce back in the pot and simmer until it reduces to a 1/4 cup of very concentrated raspberry sauce.

Set aside to cool. When the raspberry flavoring is room temperature, cream the butter in the bowl of a standing mixer using a paddle attachment. Then add about 2 cups of powdered sugar, the raspberry sauce, 1/2 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice and a pinch of kosher salt. Process until smooth. Add another 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar and continue to mix until it is spreading consistency adding room temperature milk if needed to make it less stiff.

Taste the frosting. If you like it as is, you’re done. If you want it to be sweeter, add additional powdered sugar and milk to get to the flavor you want.

I also love to cut up lemons and strawberries and add them to a pitcher of water. It gives it a really good flavor.

by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ambear72
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Send some my way LOL  those look soooo good.  Im not much into making things with fresh fruit.  I wish I was more into it cuz those look so good.

elasmimi
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I put cucumbers in ice water, too.

liveforever
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Quoting Ambear72:

Send some my way LOL  those look soooo good.  Im not much into making things with fresh fruit.  I wish I was more into it cuz those look so good.

Thanks! The frosting is actually pretty easy to make.

liveforever
by on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Quoting elasmimi:

I put cucumbers in ice water, too.

Ive seen a lot of magazines and people suggest that. I keep meaning to try it but I always forget to buy cucumbers.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM
Quoting liveforever:

What are some of your favorite things to make with fresh fruit? Any seasonal favorites?

I just got a ton of strawberries and made them into a fresh buttercream. Its yummy!

I also love to cut up lemons and strawberries and add them to a pitcher of water. It gives it a really good flavor.

I want to try those! Can you give us the recipe, or is it a secret?
mrswillie
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Those look so good!

elasmimi
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I just bought a watermelon, I'm going to try a watermelon slushie.

tabs852
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 5:51 PM
Quoting ddhb2007:

I want the recipe too, if you're willing to share it.
tabs852
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 5:52 PM
tabs852
by on Jul. 1, 2012 at 5:54 PM
We went to Sm's yesterday. A guy was blending whole avocados with spinach. It made into a green ice cream that tasted really good. I'm not sure what else he did but i so want the blender he usesd!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)