Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

British Airways will Google passengers before boarding- what do you think about this?

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:04 AM
  • 8 Replies

British Airways will Google passengers before boarding

British Airways will soon be literally be Googling passengers before flights so that check-in staff can put a face to the name for its VIP customers.

The airline says its new "Know Me" program will give BA staff members iPads to search Google Images to find future fliers before the "customer sets foot in the airport," The Telegraph reports. Results of the searches will be forwarded to other staff --such as check-in staff or cabin crew -- also equipped with iPads, for more personal interactions. 

Jo Boswell, the airline’s customer analysis head told the Evening Standard they were “trying to recreate the feeling of recognition you get in a favorite restaurant when you’re welcomed there.”

The Telegraph reports that BA already checks flight manifests for VIPs like "chief executives of financial companies," but this new effort goes above and beyond. 

But some are calling the service “profiling” and accuse BA of “snooping.” 

Nick Pickles, director of privacy campaign group Big Brother Watch, told the Standard: "Since when has buying a flight ticket meant giving your airline permission to start hunting for information about you on the Internet?" 

British Airways denies it’s doing anything wrong, and is only collecting open-source data that is available on the Internet. 

by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrswillie
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:48 AM

To me, iy's no biggie.  I realize, what I place on the internet is goes public.  I have nothing to hide.

I say...Snnop all you want!

liveforever
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I dont see how looking you up on the internet is snooping. Its the day and age we live in. Anything you do/put online can be seen and used. I wouldnt have a problem. They wont find anything interesting though.

joulieen
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Completely unnecessary!  The money they're wasting on employing people to profile customers, could be used to lower the cost of flights and make them more affordable to the average person.  Is it really important to know what the customer looks like ahead of time, when we are already providing documents with a picture at  check in?

liveforever
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting joulieen:

Completely unnecessary!  The money they're wasting on employing people to profile customers, could be used to lower the cost of flights and make them more affordable to the average person.  Is it really important to know what the customer looks like ahead of time, when we are already providing documents with a picture at  check in?

Thats a good point. All that money spent on iPads could be put to much better use.

Also...after further thought...it seems really stupid. How many people have the same name? How will they go about figuring which Kevin Johnson is the one they want?

I just google imaged my name...none of the pictures were of me! lol

tabs852
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 6:35 PM
Agree!!

Quoting joulieen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elasmimi
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Yep!

Quoting tabs852:

Agree!!

Quoting joulieen:

elasmimi
by on Jul. 11, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Besides, I'm such an ordinary person, they wouldn't find me.

mrswillie
by on Jul. 12, 2012 at 7:41 AM

Quoting liveforever:

Quoting joulieen:

Thats a good point. All that money spent on iPads could be put to much better use.

Also...after further thought...it seems really stupid. How many people have the same name? How will they go about figuring which Kevin Johnson is the one they want?

I just google imaged my name...none of the pictures were of me! lol

I agree about the cost. And, if you google me it comes up to some author, nothing about me.

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN