Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Balls of Energy

Earn a cute Hit the Road badge when you complete this activity. Visit Badges of Fun for more information.

From FamilyFun Magazine

These nutritious bites are easy to mass-produce and just as easy for players to pop in their mouths during halftime or whenever they need a boost.

Ingredients
  • 1 small banana
  • 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
  • Finely chopped peanuts, mini-chocolate chips, or shredded coconut for coating
X  

Instructions
  1. In a medium bowl, mash together the banana and the peanut butter.

2. Stir in the wheat germ. Roll individual tablespoons of the mixture into balls, then roll the balls in one, or a mix, of the coatings listed above. Chill until firm. Makes 14 balls.

3. Variation: For a peanut-free version, substitute sunflower-seed or soy-nut butter for the peanut butter, and omit the peanuts and chocolate chips (which can contain traces of peanut).

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM
Replies (11-12):
liveforever
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 12:52 AM

No problem! I was curious myself. Ive heard of it but never knew what it really was.

Quoting Ambear72:

Thanks so much, I didnt have time to look this up earlier. Thanks for doing it!

Quoting liveforever:

Wheat germ is a part of the wheat kernel. The germ is only a very small part of the kernel, approximately 2 ½ percent in total. The word germ does not have anything to do with bacteria; it simply refers to germination. The germ is the reproductive part that germinates and forms the wheat grass.

Wheat germ is very high in protein. It contains around 28 percent protein and has more protein than can be found in most meat products. The human body needs protein in order to repair tissue damage and to help minerals and nutrients reach our cells.

The amount of nutrients that are contained within wheat germ seems endless. It contains more potassium and iron than any other food source. Also found in great quantities areriboflavincalciumzinc magnesium and vitamins A, B1 and B3. Vitamins B1 and 3 are very important to maintain energy levels and maintain healthy muscles, organs, hair and skin.

Quoting Ambear72:

Honestly I have NO idea lol

Quoting tabs852:

What is wheat germ?

mrswillie
by on Jul. 22, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting liveforever:

These look good. I love pb and banana. I make a breakfast smoothie out of the 2.

Ds makes pb and banana sandwiches

Join us in Family Vacations & Getaways!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)