Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

Washington DC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM
  • 18 Replies
We're thinking of heading to Washington DC for spring break - my daughter chose it over going to the beach in Florida. We'll have 3 days in DC, 2 days in Philadelphia, and 1 day in Baltimore. What are the must see sights in those towns? My daughter wants to see the White House. My husband and I want to eat Philly cheesesteaks and soft shell crabs in Maryland. Does anyone have any tips?
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
littlefoots
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Baltimore- check out the Inner Harbor..

Philadelphia- Do you know where you are staying yet? I can recommend a few hotels.. also check out CityPass ( depending on where you wind up going.. this could actually be cheaper than reg seperate admission fees).  South Street would be great to check out and you can grab a cheesesteak there.. If you want to cover the Historic Area .. definitely recommend the trolley tour as you can get on and off,check out Liberty Bell etc and walk around and meet the characters of the city ( Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross etc)..  ( I live here and worked at a few hotels in the city..feel free to ask me anything you like)

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Oct. 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks!  I'll go check on the trolley tours.  My daughter's fascinated by history, so we'll definitely be hitting the Liberty Bell.

Quoting littlefoots:

Baltimore- check out the Inner Harbor..

Philadelphia- Do you know where you are staying yet? I can recommend a few hotels.. also check out CityPass ( depending on where you wind up going.. this could actually be cheaper than reg seperate admission fees).  South Street would be great to check out and you can grab a cheesesteak there.. If you want to cover the Historic Area .. definitely recommend the trolley tour as you can get on and off,check out Liberty Bell etc and walk around and meet the characters of the city ( Ben Franklin, Betsy Ross etc)..  ( I live here and worked at a few hotels in the city..feel free to ask me anything you like)

liveforever
by on Oct. 15, 2012 at 9:11 AM

Im planning a trip to Baltimore for the spring too. We were looking into the Inner Harbor area and since its late spring well be catching an Orioles game.

Ive never been to Philly so aside from the obvious historical thing (like the liberty bell) Im not too sure.

In DC all the museums are great. I went to the Holocaust, childrens, air and space and another I cant remember at the moment. Fords theater and Arlington National cemetery are good to check out.

Ittgal
by on Oct. 23, 2012 at 8:57 PM

DC has some other good museums.  Spy Museum, Crime and Punishment.  Grayline tours, Old town trolley,s Spirit cruises, Odyseey cruises thise two great to do for Cherry Blossom Festival, which starts March 20 - 27 April 2013.  Not sure when your spring break is.

nova.mommy
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Many of the Smithsonian museums are on the Mall in DC,a short walk for the White House, and are free.  The best way for a tourist to get around the City is to use the Metro Trains.

http://www.si.edu/Museums

http://wmata.com/

If you want some good crabs in Baltimore, go to Phillips

mrjonesii
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Thanks for the thread. We're thinking to take our family vacation in DC this summer. DH and I been before. Also I've visited Baltimore years ago. I have family there so we plan to visit them while we're in DC. I will be taking advice from the moms as well.

PS

When you get back let me know what you thought of your trip. Be safe and have fun.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM

There's so much to do in Washington DC that we've decided to stay there all but one day.  We want to take our daughter to see the ocean, so one day we'll take a little road trip to the coast.  Does anyone have a recommendation on the best spot to view the ocean in Maryland or Virginia?

So far, our congressman has arranged for us to tour the Bureau of Engraving and they're providing us with a private tour of the Capital.  I'm still waiting for my White House tour tickets to be approved.  I hope we can get them since that's the most important thing to my daughter.

LostTheSlipper
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Quoting ddhb2007:

There's so much to do in Washington DC that we've decided to stay there all but one day.  We want to take our daughter to see the ocean, so one day we'll take a little road trip to the coast.  Does anyone have a recommendation on the best spot to view the ocean in Maryland or Virginia?

So far, our congressman has arranged for us to tour the Bureau of Engraving and they're providing us with a private tour of the Capital.  I'm still waiting for my White House tour tickets to be approved.  I hope we can get them since that's the most important thing to my daughter.

Do you call and just ask for tickets to these places? DS and I are going to DC but I'm afraid to call these people because I'm afraid I'll sound like an idiot. The big one for us would be Bureau of Printing and Engraving. DS loves money!

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:44 PM

My congressman's website had a link on his web page to a form to fill out.  Once I did that, his aide contacted me to arrange the tickets.  I would start by looking at your congressman's web page to see if there's a link. 

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting ddhb2007:

Do you call and just ask for tickets to these places? DS and I are going to DC but I'm afraid to call these people because I'm afraid I'll sound like an idiot. The big one for us would be Bureau of Printing and Engraving. DS loves money!

dfollin
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:48 PM
In Washington,DC your best bet is to be at the Washington DC Mall where there are a lot of museum's mostly owned by the Smithsonian Institute,The Native American Museum,Botanical Gardens,Air and Space Museum,National Gallery of Art,The Holicost Museum,Frier Gallery of Art,Corcoran Gallery of Art,The Washington Monument,The Capital Building.You can see the outside of The White House and much more.On the other side of town is the Washington National Zoo also owned by the Smithsonian.I have been to Baltimore,but do not know a lot about it except to go watch baseball,lol.I have never been to Phiilly.Have fun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)