Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

Washington DC, Baltimore, and Philadelphia

Posted by   + Show Post
We're thinking of heading to Washington DC for spring break - my daughter chose it over going to the beach in Florida. We'll have 3 days in DC, 2 days in Philadelphia, and 1 day in Baltimore. What are the must see sights in those towns? My daughter wants to see the White House. My husband and I want to eat Philly cheesesteaks and soft shell crabs in Maryland. Does anyone have any tips?
by on Oct. 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM
Replies (11-18):
dfollin
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Quoting nova.mommy:

Many of the Smithsonian museums are on the Mall in DC,a short walk for the White House, and are free.  The best way for a tourist to get around the City is to use the Metro Trains.

http://www.si.edu/Museums

http://wmata.com/

If you want some good crabs in Baltimore, go to Phillips

To visit the inside of the White House you need to contact your congressman 6 months in advance.
----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/dfollin
dfollin
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I forgot to mention that across the river in Virginia,short subway ride,is The Arlington National Cemetery and the Arlington House(Custis/Lee Mansion) home of General Robert R. Lee. which is a great tour.
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Quoting dfollin:

I finally received my tickets to the White House yesterday, and I applied last October. I was getting worried, but it all worked out.
dfollin
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM
Thats great! I live near DC and went to the White House tour,before 9/11 and we didn't have to go through our congressman.
CLEKate
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Baltimore: Check out Fells Point.  It's a very different area from the inner harbor.  Lots of variety in food and shops.

CLEKate
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The only beach in Maryland is Ocean City.  It's 3-4 hours from D.C.  It's a busy, busy place.  I prefer Bethany Beach, DE (same amount of time from DC)--quieter town with a small boardwalk, nice beach and lots of cute shops.

LostTheSlipper
hate this place
Yesterday at 2:06 PM
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Quoting ddhb2007:

My congressman's website had a link on his web page to a form to fill out.  Once I did that, his aide contacted me to arrange the tickets.  I would start by looking at your congressman's web page to see if there's a link. 

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting ddhb2007:

There's so much to do in Washington DC that we've decided to stay there all but one day.  We want to take our daughter to see the ocean, so one day we'll take a little road trip to the coast.  Does anyone have a recommendation on the best spot to view the ocean in Maryland or Virginia?

So far, our congressman has arranged for us to tour the Bureau of Engraving and they're providing us with a private tour of the Capital.  I'm still waiting for my White House tour tickets to be approved.  I hope we can get them since that's the most important thing to my daughter.

Do you call and just ask for tickets to these places? DS and I are going to DC but I'm afraid to call these people because I'm afraid I'll sound like an idiot. The big one for us would be Bureau of Printing and Engraving. DS loves money!

Thank you. I was able to find the right page and link and just fill out the form and check what I wanted tickets for - hopefully I'll get them. It said 90 days and I was at 81 :/

I didn't see anywhere where it said how long it takes before they contact you about them or whatever. Could you tell me how long it was for you (obviously I know it probably vary but an idea would be nice) because now I've found I'm stuck because I gave them a range of dates to better our chances of getting tickets, but now I have to wait to schedule other things on those days till I know when the tickets are for (if we get them.)

Thanks!

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:07 PM
Quoting LostTheSlipper:

I received confirmation of the Bureau of Engraving and the Capital tour pretty quickly (within a week or two). The White House tickets took 5 months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)