Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

How do you keep your kids occupied on long distance trips?

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi ladies,

Tell us, how do you keep your kids occupied on long distance trips? 

family car

by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blueeyes2000
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM
Our three year old has had many 12 hour trips. We make sure we have plenty of toys, books, he also has a DVD player, and now he has a leap frog Tag reader.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PEEK05
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM

So far the longest we have ever gone is 3 hours one way.  We do that during naptime lol.

Ambear72
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

When we went to Disneyland we had an 8-9 hour drive there and back.  We have a DVD player and we also took the kids DS's.  We had a car full, 8 people in my car 2 adults 2 teenagers 2 preteens and 2 6 yr olds.  I took movies that all ages would like.  They did suprisingly well.  The movies were a life saver.

RMT1995
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My daughter just turned 8, but we drove to Disney from NH when she was just shy of 5 years old, and she did great. I made a bag with coloring books and crayons, regular books, a portable DVD player with a bunch of her favorite Disney movies, her Leapster and some games, play-doh, stickers and plain paper, and a few small dolls. We stopped a few times for gas and food and bathroom stops, but we also ran around a little to stretch our legs. We had left at 4am, so she slept until 7am, then napped around 1pm until 4pm, and then fell asleep again around 9pm until we got there at almost midnight.

We're headed to FLA again next month via the Amtrak, and we're bringing her DS, some books and a notebook for her to make a journal, our portable DVD player and our phones (so she can play other games) Driving is our main method of travel, so she's used to it.

MommeisQueen
by on May. 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM
We've done a few road trips with our kids but will fly with them for the first time this year. I think by timing plays a big partt, packing each kid their own snacks and entertainment like coloring books, books, video games, DVDs etc hopefully we will have a smooth flight. :)
lalasmama2007
by on May. 8, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Portable DVD player, Leappad, DS player, books, etc.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2013 at 8:00 PM
Well, my daughter likes to look out the window, talk, play road trip games like the alphabet game, and sing along with the iPod. Her favorite songs on this last trip were anything by ABBA and Battle of New Orleans by Johnny Horton. She also likes the Beach Boys, Elvis, and Jan and Dean.
KLove_Mom
by on Jun. 19, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Movies and TV episodes are our best friend on long road trips, and we do plenty of them since the closest any of our family lives is 8 hours away. 

In the last 2 years we've done 7 road trips that were anywher between 8 and 30 hours of driving one way. 
That's with 3 kids age 4 and under...

We take turns letting each kid pick a show or movie, I try to not let them watch the road trip movies in the couple weeks before the trip.

After lunch we have music time, where Mommy or Daddy pick the music and put it mostly up front in hopes that the kids will take a nap. When they are all awake again we'll put another movie on.

I also pack an activities bag. My kids don't really like to color in the car, but I bring lots of activity books with pop up windows, noise making buttons, touching areas, or look and find pictures.
I also put small action figures and dinosaurs in the bag. I'm always amazed how a young child can entertain themselves if you put a small toy in both hands. 
Sometimes we'll buy them a new little toy just for the trip so they aren't already bored with it. 

I also pack a cooler and bag of snacks. I bring a small snack bowl for each kid to hand their snacks to them. I bring an assortment of fruit, crackers, chips, gummy candy, suckers, lunchmeat and cheese, etc.
Each kid has their own water bottle for the trip. 

After dinnertime we're usually bored from everything else, so we put funny kids songs or nursery rhymes on the radio and sing along... or we just sing on our own. 

As the kids get older I know we'll play the ABC game... you look for all the letters of the alphabet, in order, on road signs and store/restaurant signs. Finding those Qs and Xs always makes the game interesting.
Also keeping track of how many different states you see on license plates.

One year on a trip with my mom we came up with rhymes to learn all the presidents names in order. 

CometGirl
by on Jun. 21, 2013 at 1:32 PM

My kids are usually content with looking at the scenery, looking at the map/reading about the sites we are near, or listening to their iPods.

MommeisQueen
by on Aug. 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM
So we had a fabulous time in Disney but I've learned something I'd like to share. Early flight going but late flight coming home. My poor DS had one heck of a meltdown(over tired) on the flight home.

Quoting MommeisQueen:

We've done a few road trips with our kids but will fly with them for the first time this year. I think by timing plays a big partt, packing each kid their own snacks and entertainment like coloring books, books, video games, DVDs etc hopefully we will have a smooth flight. :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN