Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Vacations & Getaways Family Vacations & Getaways

Washington, DC

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 19 Replies

Hello ladies,

You have always been a big help to me when planning our family vacations. This summer we're planning to take our girls to DC. Dh and I went about 10 years ago. Please help us in finding a place to stay, eat, and go. Thx in advance.

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dfollin
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Hi I live in northern VA, in a suburb oh DC.It is more expensive to stay in town.It is cheaper to stay in a suburban area and take the bus and subway to DC to sight see.Arlington is the closest place to DC but therefore it cost more.In Fairfax county it is cheaper but be sure that you check the bus schedules because some buses do not run on weekends.If you are driving it is difficult to drive in DC if you do not know the area.Plus it is hard to find a place to park and is costly as well.I would advise staying near Fair Oaks Mall or even in Vienna near the subway.What type of hotel do you want to stay in?
mrjonesii
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Thx. We're looking for studio type hotels such as Residence inn. We like for our girls to have their separate area and like the idea of a kitchen. Plus free breakfast.

Quoting dfollin:

Hi I live in northern VA, in a suburb oh DC.It is more expensive to stay in town.It is cheaper to stay in a suburban area and take the bus and subway to DC to sight see.Arlington is the closest place to DC but therefore it cost more.In Fairfax county it is cheaper but be sure that you check the bus schedules because some buses do not run on weekends.If you are driving it is difficult to drive in DC if you do not know the area.Plus it is hard to find a place to park and is costly as well.I would advise staying near Fair Oaks Mall or even in Vienna near the subway.What type of hotel do you want to stay in?

dfollin
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Quoting mrjonesii:

Studio type rooms will not have seperate area's,usually there will be 2 souble/queen size beds next to each other.The reason I was thinking about the hotel's at Fair Oaks mall was because you could walk over to the bus stop and to the mall to shop and go to restaurant's.

These are the hotels that are off the mall parking lot.

1) Fairfax Marriot at Fair Oaks
11787 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway
Fairfax,VA
* I have not stayed here and do not know a lot about it.

2) Courtyard Fairfax Fair Oaks
11220 Lee Jackson Memorial Highway
Fairfax,VA

* I have not stayed at this one either,but do know it is not an extended stay.

3) Homestead Studio Suites
12104 Monument Drive
Fairfax,VA (1 block from mall,walking distance)

* have stayed long term in their other location in Chantilly,VA and does have room's with either with 2 double bed's or a double bed and a sleep sofa,kitchenette.The room's have seperate entrances,they go outside not to the lobby.No breakfast.

4) Extended Stay America
3997 Fair Ridge Drive
Fairfax,VA (about 3/4 mile from mall,but still bus excessable)

* we stayed here for a weekend when there were previous owners.And have stayed long term in another one of their locations.There is a kitchenette and a free continental breakfast.

But,however this seems to be most to your liking

5) Residence Inn(Fair Lakes)
12815 Fair Lakes Parkway
Fairfax,VA

* my daughter and I stayed there one weekend and loved it.There is not a restaurant there,but they do have a Free breakfast every morning.It is a short walk to the bus stop.That bus will take you to the Fair Oaks Mall where you will transfer to another bus to take to the subway station to go to Washington,DC.It sound like it's a lot,but it is actually short rides.Also the hotel is near Fair Lakes mall,which is a strip mall,with many stores and restaurants,including a inexpensive grocery store.Off the top of my head,Walmart(newly remodled and also has grocery's),Target,Toys R Us,Radio Shack,McDonalds,a pizza place,Olive Garden,Burger King,Best Buy,a bank,Wendy's,Blue Igiona.

If you have any more questions,feel free to ask
----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/dfollin
ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:47 PM

We're heading there in 2 1/2 weeks, so I should have better information soon. 

1.  Contact your Senator or Congressman to get White House tickets if you want to go inside.  You can't just show up and get let in anymore due to security concerns.  Your Congressman / Senator can also arrange for other tickets - Capitol, Bureau of Engraving & Printing, and the Kennedy Center.

2.  My Congressman's Aide also provided me with a list of recommended sites, hours, and metro stops.  If you want to PM me, I can forward the list to you.  He specifially recommended the Air and Space, American History and Natural History Museums in addition to the Library of Congress and the National Archives.

3.  I don't know about where to stay.  We're staying in a campground in Maryland since we're bringing the RV. 

4.  Check the WMATA website for information on subways and busses.  Actually, thanks for reminding me that I need to figure out what to buy for tickets this week.  There are weeklong passes available for the subway and bus, but I need to figure out the most economical way for us to get around.

mrjonesii
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Thanks for the list! I will look into this area and these hotels. I did map-quest and it said Fairfax is 30 minutes from DC. Will the commute take that long? Sounds like a wonderful area. We're very familiar with Residence Inn. That's where we would prefer to stay. Again thanks.

Quoting dfollin:

Quoting mrjonesii:

mrjonesii
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Oh do enjoy! Thanks for the tip concerning our congressman. And yes I would love to hear about your trip.

Quoting ddhb2007:

1.  Contact your Senator or Congressman to get White House tickets if you want to go inside.  You can't just show up and get let in anymore due to security concerns.  Your Congressman / Senator can also arrange for other tickets - Capitol, Bureau of Engraving & Printing, and the Kennedy Center.

2.  My Congressman's Aide also provided me with a list of recommended sites, hours, and metro stops.  If you want to PM me, I can forward the list to you.  He specifially recommended the Air and Space, American History and Natural History Museums in addition to the Library of Congress and the National Archives.

3.  I don't know about where to stay.  We're staying in a campground in Maryland since we're bringing the RV. 

4.  Check the WMATA website for information on subways and busses.  Actually, thanks for reminding me that I need to figure out what to buy for tickets this week.  There are weeklong passes available for the subway and bus, but I need to figure out the most economical way for us to get around.

dfollin
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Quoting ddhb2007:

To get a reservation at the White House you have to contact your congressman 6 months in advance.There are plenty of places around here to visit and I will be glad to advise you of those places as well.
dfollin
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Quoting mrjonesii:

Yes,if you are transporting by bus it will take longer than 30 minutes,with your transfer's.And there are also lot's of historical sites in Fairfax County too.Even if you rent a car once you get here it is best to take the subway from Vienna Metro.But,it does cost to park there,but it is cheaper than parking in Washington,DC,if you can even find a spot there.Plus the driving in DC is also hectic.If you wanted to visit places within' Fairfax County,then you would need a car.I have found the least expensive car rental is Enterprise Renta car.

If you were to take the Orange line subway from Vienna metro station to the Smithsonian metro station it will take about 20 minutes.
mrjonesii
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:12 AM

We will be driving there. Dh have decided that we don't want to stay more than 20 min from the main attractions. We've done it one too many times on vacation. We like being as close as possible w/out the major expense.

Quoting dfollin:

Quoting mrjonesii:

Yes,if you are transporting by bus it will take longer than 30 minutes,with your transfer's.And there are also lot's of historical sites in Fairfax County too.Even if you rent a car once you get here it is best to take the subway from Vienna Metro.But,it does cost to park there,but it is cheaper than parking in Washington,DC,if you can even find a spot there.Plus the driving in DC is also hectic.If you wanted to visit places within' Fairfax County,then you would need a car.I have found the least expensive car rental is Enterprise Renta car.

If you were to take the Orange line subway from Vienna metro station to the Smithsonian metro station it will take about 20 minutes.

dfollin
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Quoting mrjonesii:

There is a Residence Inn in Rosslyn which is in Arlington,VA and one also in Arlington near the courthouse metro which is closer to DC,but will cost more also.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)