Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What We've been reading

Posted by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:25 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 425 Total Views
I have three boys ages 6, 8 and 17 they are all avid readers.  I thought I'd start us off by sharing what the younger ones been reading.

Casey is 8 and will be in third grade in the fall. He is my "Fact Hound" he's all over anything non fiction. His current favorite is anything from the Mysterious You series.  He was reading Squirt! The Most Interesting Book You'll Ever Read About Blood.   Other titles include Achoo! Wow! and Aha!  Too encourage him to try fiction I found a copy of "How To Be Cool in the Third Grade" by Betsy Duffy.

Jeremy is 6 and is entering first grade. He is easily frustrated by anything he can't do well the first time. His biggest struggle is not reading as well as his older brother. We are currently working our way through the Spot books by Eric Hill and anything Dora and Diego related.

Books I've recently shared with them:

Skippyjon Jones by Judy Schacher
If you like funny slightly sarcastic stories this will have you rolling!  Skippyjon os a Siamese cat with a VERY overactive imagination!  He would rather be Skippito his Zorro like alter ego. He gets into some really hilarious situations but always lands on his feet. And Mama Junebug Jones is always thereat the end with a hug!

Colliding With Chris by Dan Harder
Chris gets a new bike with hand brakes and can't Waite to ride it.  His first ride turns out to way wilder then he planned!

A Frog Thing by Eric Drachman
Frank is a frog the wants to do BIG things like FLY!  What he learns, is it's cool to be you! 

Ok...YOUR TURN! 
by on Jun. 20, 2007 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
bbwitchd
by Group Owner on Jul. 6, 2007 at 9:33 AM

The Summer Reading Club (SRC) at the library has been in full swing for the last 4 weeks. We've had over 1600 kids sign up at our library alone city wide it's well over 4000.  I've gotten some really good advice on what to read next from some of my little friends some are new releases and others are old favorites. .  Here's a sampling....

From Jessica age 8:

Turtles Race With Beaver  Told by Joseph and James Bruchac Illustrated by Jose Arugo and Arlane Dewey

Jessica told me "I really like the pictures and It's a good story."

From Anna (mom of Brianna, Jacob and Tyler)

Me First, Listen Buddy and, Hooway for Wodney Wat! all written by Helen Lester and illustrated by Lynn Munsinger

Anna says "They just love these stories, especially Hooway for Wodney Wat! My favorite is 'Listen Buddy' because we're constantly telling Tyler to listen up!"  :)

From Chelsea age 5 

The Pirate's Alphabet  by Patti Wiggington

Patti is a new author to picture book's. Her rhyming informative text along with the great illustrations by Kit Umscheid make this an instant hit with children from preschool to 2nd grade.

From Rebecca age 10

Bad Dog Marley by John Grogan illustrated by Richard
Cowdrey

This is a child's version of Marley and Me by the same author.  It focuses on some of the mishaps of the well intentioned dog and the frustrated family and ends on a positive note.  Rebecca told me that her Mom says that Their Dog Champ is JUST like Marley!

Hope you enjoy these family tested picks!  :)

bbwitchd
by Group Owner on Sep. 7, 2007 at 5:45 PM
Wow it's been an AGE since I posted to my own group!  Sorry guys, I didn't mean to leave you hanging.  We've had some really cool noew titles come through the library in the last month. Here's just a sampling...

A Perfect Day  by Remy Charlip
Charlip does it again with an endearing story of the perfect day spent together. Simple text and uncomplecated illustrations make this a great story to share with a young child.

DO NOT OPEN THIS BOOK!  by Michaela Muntean
Writing the perfect story is a real challenge in this engageing picture book. From an idea through to the last word this imaginative play on words will be a treat!   

I Miss You! A military Kid's Book About Deployment  
by Beth Andrews LCSW
There are just not enough books for children that deal with this topic. Young children may not understand why their parent is gone and older children may worry about the safty of the deployed parent as well as their own. This book is in a consumable format with pages designed to be written on or colored in. The first chapter Guide for Family Members and Other Caring adults gives explainations and suggestions for using this book.  It is a terriffic addition to any home that deals with this emotional issue.  

Ten Naughty Little Monkeys   by Suzanna Williams
This book takes the beloves song Five Little Monkeys to the next level. A classic monkey rhyme with delicious illustrations, this is sure to be a favorite of little monkeys everywhere!

Family Lullaby  by Jody Ficks Shapiro
Sweet Sweet SWEET!  That's the best way to discribe this colorful picture book.  Each member of the family is represented showing their love for the baby. Who loves the baby??? We all do!

I hope you enjoy thses titles with the special children in your life.  And be sure to share with us all your opinion of them! 
HAPPY READING!
Beth 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)