Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

What do you believe?

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM
  • 30 Replies

I grew up in Mexico where everyone I knew was Roman Catholic and those who converted to other religions were looked at as "weirdos".  Then I came to the U.S. where there are so many different beliefs.  I even started meeting Mexicans and other Hispanics who were not Catholic and even Catholics who were not Roman Rite (Byzantines, Eastern Rite). 

What belief system do you follow?

by on Apr. 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 25, 2010 at 5:48 PM

To answer my own question.  Like I said I was born Catholic but when I came here I got very confused.  I went to other churches (Episcopalian and Evangelical non-denominational) and for a while I left the Catholic Church.  When I got married I decided to marry Catholic because I knew it would create great conflict in my family if I didn't .  Then the babies came and I felt a bit pressured by my mom to baptize them Catholic too.

Dh and I started going to Church every Sunday but I was still picking and choosing what to believe (Cafeteria Catholic).  There were lots of things I disagreed about the Church (birth control, priest celibacy, women's ordination).

Then I started meeting people who converted to Catholicism and I wondered why these people would embrace the totality of the religion without so much picking and choosing like I did.  Their faithfulness intrigued me and I started to learn more.  From their love of the Church I began to learn and love it more myself.  I also experienced attacks from non-Catholic friends about my beliefs and I felt I needed to learn my faith better so I could explain that we don't worship Mary and that there is a good biblical reason for everything we do. So to sum it up, I am totally Catholic now and I love it!

mom-to-3-kids
by Member on Apr. 25, 2010 at 5:56 PM

I was raised a Roman Catholic by my grandparents, but when I turned 17 I moved to live with my mom & started studying Jehovah's Witness... i haven't been baptized, but I understand a lot more now than I did then...mainly because when I have a question, someone brings a bible & shows me where in the bible the answer to my questions are. When i lived with my grandparents, I was always just told "because".

Because is supposed to be a junction combining two thoughts, not an answer, imo.

:)

LexsMami
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I refuse to wear a label anymore. I know what I believe and what I don't and if I am wrong, then oh well.

Basically, I believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I believe that Jesus was born immaculately via Mary and pretty much everything that the Gospels say. Everything else is not as important, at least to me. I also believe that as long as you try to live a good life and treat everyone fairly, that you will go to Heaven. If not, then you go to Hell. I think the 10 commandments are really good rules to live by...even if you don't believe in God.

That is my belief system. I grew up in a Christian church and had a stint as a Catholic. I don't really care for organized religion anymore, but I do attend random churches upon occasion.

dianab
by Member on Apr. 25, 2010 at 6:36 PM

when you say you dont worship the virgin mary,  by "we" do you mean you personally or  catholics, genarally?

Quoting luvmygrndhg:

To answer my own question.  Like I said I was born Catholic but when I came here I got very confused.  I went to other churches (Episcopalian and Evangelical non-denominational) and for a while I left the Catholic Church.  When I got married I decided to marry Catholic because I knew it would create great conflict in my family if I didn't .  Then the babies came and I felt a bit pressured by my mom to baptize them Catholic too.

Dh and I started going to Church every Sunday but I was still picking and choosing what to believe (Cafeteria Catholic).  There were lots of things I disagreed about the Church (birth control, priest celibacy, women's ordination).

Then I started meeting people who converted to Catholicism and I wondered why these people would embrace the totality of the religion without so much picking and choosing like I did.  Their faithfulness intrigued me and I started to learn more.  From their love of the Church I began to learn and love it more myself.  I also experienced attacks from non-Catholic friends about my beliefs and I felt I needed to learn my faith better so I could explain that we don't worship Mary and that there is a good biblical reason for everything we do. So to sum it up, I am totally Catholic now and I love it!

dianab
by Member on Apr. 25, 2010 at 6:37 PM

lol, its like you were in my brain when you wrote this lol, this exactly how I feel

Quoting LexsMami:

I refuse to wear a label anymore. I know what I believe and what I don't and if I am wrong, then oh well.

Basically, I believe in God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit. I believe that Jesus was born immaculately via Mary and pretty much everything that the Gospels say. Everything else is not as important, at least to me. I also believe that as long as you try to live a good life and treat everyone fairly, that you will go to Heaven. If not, then you go to Hell. I think the 10 commandments are really good rules to live by...even if you don't believe in God.

That is my belief system. I grew up in a Christian church and had a stint as a Catholic. I don't really care for organized religion anymore, but I do attend random churches upon occasion.

LadySandoval
by New Member on Apr. 25, 2010 at 6:39 PM

I grew up Christian but when I got older I tried out all sorts of religions. I eventually ended up back in a non-denominational church. 

My hubby is Catholic, his family is Catholic and they all think I should be Catholic. He doesn't really follow it at all but refuses to try something else. So we currently attend two different churches and raise our children to have knowledge of both. 

suej27
by on Apr. 25, 2010 at 6:51 PM

technically, by birth right, I am jewish because my mother's great grandma on her mother's side was jewish and the religion is carried by the woman.  I was however raised VERY roman catholic, church every sunday, las proseciones en semana santa, I made it all the way to confirmation in the church.  I moved to the US and religion simply did not fit in my mother's lifestyle anymore (she'd lived here for years before we came) so we stopped going to church.  my sister converted to judaism, my former boss was mormon and he opened my eyes to another way of thinking.  I do no believe in the church, organized religion, priests,etc.  I'm not sure I believe in heaven, at times it seems like we live in hell, when you consider all of the horrible things that happen here on earth.  my oldest is baptized in the catholic church, but mainly because of my mother's wishes.  

do I believe in god? sigh, like a lot of people out there, I do when it suits me but I suppose I'm not afraid to admit it.  there are people who only pray to god when they need it, when it's important to them, when faced with a great crisis.  I am one of them.  do I believe he created life ?  that's hard to answer, I'm like a scientist you know, it's hard to reconcile faith and knowledge.  to each his own, I will not put down anyone who is religious of course, but I do not like it when others try to "inform" me or persuade me into religion.

sophiesmom07
by on Apr. 25, 2010 at 7:43 PM

I am Catholic.  I consider myself a liberal Catholic. I believe in the teachings, the commandments, prayer and the sanctity of the sacraments, but most of my views are liberal. If this is a  contradiction, so be it.  I believe the Vatican needs to rethink their position on some issues.  I believe I am a good person and God is happy with me.  I receive his blessings and thank him every day :)   

CHICANA88
by Sofia-Mexirican on Apr. 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

I GREW UP IN THE SAME CHURCH 5 GENERATIONS OF MY FAMILY HAS GROWN UP IN. OUR CHURCH IS NON-DENOMINATIONAL. WE BASICALLY FOLLOW WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS AND WE BELIEVE IN THE FATER, THE SON, AND HOLY SPIRIT BUT AS ONE. WE ALSO BELIEVE IN SPEAKING IN TONGUES AND PRAYING ON OUR KNEES. MY CHURCH IS VERY STRICT BUT I LOVE IT ANYHOW!

luvmygrndhg
by Member on Apr. 25, 2010 at 9:46 PM

It is not a teaching of the Church as some believe.  Some misguided Catholics do place a lot of emphasis on the Virgin Mary that some interpret as worship but that is not what the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches.  We honor her and love her for her role in bringing the Savior of the world and we call her our mother because when Jesus gave her to John as his mother, He gave her to all humanity to love and cherish as He did.  She is the greatest example of a Christian, someone who did God's will and followed Christ until the end without counting the cost.

Quoting dianab:

when you say you dont worship the virgin mary,  by "we" do you mean you personally or  catholics, genarally?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)