Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fertility

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:22 AM
  • 22 Replies

I always joke with people that the reason I have 4 children is because of my amazing Mexican fertility. My mom had 4 kids, my grandma had 6, my great grandma had 9. But I know in reality fertility is anything but easy for just one culture, and it may be even harder to understand fertility issues in our culture sometimes because it is almost a given that you will be able to conceive.

Have you found that conceiving a child is as difficult being Hispanic, or are there issues you have seen/had just as much? I have never heard very much about the loss of a pregnancy from family and friends so I don't know if this is just a taboo topic. 

I have had a few friends who had issues having a baby, but for the most part it has been easy for most of them. All of my kids were unexpected and 3 of them were while I was on birth control so for my husband and I, we know that the fertility conquered in the end.  

by on May. 2, 2010 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SDbabe
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:31 AM

I've never had a problem conceiving, but getting them to stay yes.  I had maybe 5 miscarriages when hubby and I were ttc #2.

Honeybun09
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:33 AM

Well I'm not hispanic (hubby is) and my mom always tells me that our family is very fertile. I believe her because each of my family members have 3+ kids. No family has less, unless we're in the beginning of starting our family. My husband and I conceived the FIRST TIME we had unprotected sex, which was on our engagement night LOL. Needless to say, we're much more careful now!

Rock-a-bye, babies group,
right on CafeMom:
When the posts start,
The group willl rock;
When the advice flows,
No member will fail;
Down will go baby,
sleeping night and all.
Credit: Cafe Elizabeth

Come join the Babies group today!
Mother Goose Day Celebration May 3!
See you there! ~Honeybun09~Babies Mod~

prBarbie
by on May. 2, 2010 at 4:48 PM

i have thyroid issues and i miscarried once.  im pregnant again hoping that my thyroid will cooperate.  my mom had 8 siblings but she only wanted 2 kids.  i want the same, just 2.   my mom developed thyroid problems at menopause and also my grandma so i was next in the line.  we conceived all 3 pregnancies right after stopping taking birth control pills, though this 3 rd pregnancy took a few mths.  but i know a few hispanic women who are having trouble conceiving.  and my cousin took about 10 yrs to have a baby.  and my sis in law miscarried her first before having her son. so i know alot of hispanic women who are miscarrying or having trouble.  its all depends on the woman and man. 

Supervane
by Vane on May. 3, 2010 at 1:48 AM

There are various fertility issues on my mom's side of the family - thats why I was an only child and the only grandchild. My DH and I did take some time to conceive but we did not need fertility help or treatments... My uncle (mom's bro) and his wife tried for over 15 years with various fertility treatments and doctors and nothing. They gave up a few years ago... My aunt (mom's sis) married when she was 34, and kids never happened for her either...  

DollofMalice
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2010 at 10:29 AM

I always thought it was just a joke, because it seemed to be more religious then our race that would make for larger families. 

But I just don't ever hear very much about infertility, miscarriages or things of that nature. I know everyone has their own preference what they want to disclose as those are very personal matters. But I had a friend who was trying for a baby and when she didn't get pregnant the first month, she said she NEEDED to go to Mexico for some vitamin shot so that she could get pregnant because she was having problems. Months is not problems, seeing how many people go years without a baby or pregnancy. 

blueorpink
by Member on May. 3, 2010 at 10:33 AM

well im very hispanic and I have 4 kids, I ectopic to which I had to get surgery and trying to concieved for 3 years. It's really hard let me tell u. U would think after having children that can't happen but it does and it's sad.

DixieFlower
by on May. 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM

DH and I had problems concieving our first child. However, after fertility testing it was found to be a problem with DH. We were told May 08 that we would not be able to concieve naturally. June 08 I found out that we had concieved DS. After DS was born we decided not to go on BC since it took two yrs to have DS we figured no need for BC. I am currently pregnant with a baby that we concieved after DS turned a yr old. :)

DollofMalice
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2010 at 12:26 PM

I am sorry you had to go through that. 

I had my first 3 with no problems and while on BC. Then I got pregnant in 2008 and has a miscarriage a week later. Even though it was only a week, that was the hardest experience I had to endure. 

Quoting blueorpink:

well im very hispanic and I have 4 kids, I ectopic to which I had to get surgery and trying to concieved for 3 years. It's really hard let me tell u. U would think after having children that can't happen but it does and it's sad.

DollofMalice
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Wow that is an awesome story!! It is amazing how those meds can mess with the way our body functions. 

Quoting DixieFlower:

DH and I had problems concieving our first child. However, after fertility testing it was found to be a problem with DH. We were told May 08 that we would not be able to concieve naturally. June 08 I found out that we had concieved DS. After DS was born we decided not to go on BC since it took two yrs to have DS we figured no need for BC. I am currently pregnant with a baby that we concieved after DS turned a yr old. :)

lamami77
by New Member on May. 3, 2010 at 12:28 PM

Quoting prBarbie:

i have thyroid issues and i miscarried once.  im pregnant again hoping that my thyroid will cooperate.  my mom had 8 siblings but she only wanted 2 kids.  i want the same, just 2.   my mom developed thyroid problems at menopause and also my grandma so i was next in the line.  we conceived all 3 pregnancies right after stopping taking birth control pills, though this 3 rd pregnancy took a few mths.  but i know a few hispanic women who are having trouble conceiving.  and my cousin took about 10 yrs to have a baby.  and my sis in law miscarried her first before having her son. so i know alot of hispanic women who are miscarrying or having trouble.  its all depends on the woman and man. 

Congrats Liz!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)