Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So, I have been wondering...

Posted by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM
  • 7 Replies

About my ancestors. I signed up for ancestry.com and started filling my Family Tree.

It's hard finding out where your family is from since most of us have families from different countries other than the U.S. For people that emigrated here from Europe, they have records in Ellis Island but I'm not sure where I can look to find records from Puerto Rico.

I know my great grandparents were from Spain but I'm not sure how I would go about searching for clues on them.

Has anyone ever done a genealogy search? Do you know where your descendants are from?

by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
SDbabe
by on May. 2, 2010 at 11:18 AM

I tried asking my grandmother once...... as far as she's concerned everyone came from Mexico.  It got me no where.  My mom has even tried to look things up and got no where.  Hope you have better luck.

Joqui
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2010 at 3:05 PM

I wonder if they have some sort of record in PR? Like maybe if you go and ask nicely (lol) they could direct you to a place where you could find out... I mean, it HAS to be somewhere right?

angie582
by Angie-México on May. 2, 2010 at 3:06 PM

well all from my moms side are from mexico(going down at least 200 yrs)..but from her dads side his great great great grandpa is from germany ... from my dads side all from his mom are from Mexcio( and my great great great grandpa was in battle w/ Zapata...my grandma even has pics..aaawsoooome!)from his dad though , his dads great grandpa is from Spain and his great grandma from france...so i gots some european in me :)

Supervane
by Vane on May. 2, 2010 at 3:42 PM

My DH's family can traceback 16 generations, and they are all well documented. For DD's 1st bday great grandpa "published" his ancestry book and gave her the 1st copy. They can trace back to Civil War and Revolution so as a result she qualifies to join the American Daughters of the Revolution when she is a certain age, hopefully around college this will mean a good chance for a nice hefty scholarship. Her great-grandpa has dedicated his entire retired years to this ancestry search its a pretty detailed book it states names, religions, occupations, and several journal enteries and 1st hand mini - autobiographies.

On my side we can only trace back as far as those who are living. When my mom saw Portia's ancestry side from her great-grandpa she was a little embarassed that our family could not provide something like that back to her. So she got on it did her homework and she found the man who started her mother's side of the family. He came on a boat from Portugal to Mexico, his parents died on the boat so he was adopted by another family who was on the same boat, he was 12 and took their last name. My mom found pics of the original boarding passes. So my family can now trace back 8 generations. So we stem from Portugal on that side.

If you are really going to start your ancestry tree I recommended searching through the Mormon death records - they are public, you might just have to go in person. Thats how my mom found most of our ancestors. She even found pictures there to. Another good place to start is looking through immigration records. My mom found her grandma's Bracero Permit

LexsMami
by Bronze Member on May. 2, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I have connected with lots of my family on facebook. The easy part is that everyone with my last name is related. We have also connected on various geneology websites. My family all originally came from Portugal and then some went to Spain, some to France, some to Brazil, some to Mexico, and then some to many other Latin American countries. Our family is huge!!!!!!!!

Lovin_mybaby5
by on May. 3, 2010 at 1:54 AM

Yea..my mother told me that my family and her were born and raised in a small town in Germany, and Grandma told me Madrid Spain is where she's from family still lives theres. grandpa is from America, he's Apache indian

DollofMalice
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I did before. I don't have much information on my mom's side, but I have found things for my Dad and the Basque side of the family. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)