Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

P.R.T .. what do you think ???

Posted by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM
  • 7 Replies

I was watching a show called Mega Engineering on the Discovery Channel and saw the PRT or Pod cars.. pretty cool stuff .. Check out the links and videos below and share what you think about it, Would you welcome this means of Transportation in your city ?

check out this link .. seattle pod cars

and this link out.. west virigina pod cars

Forget everything you thought
you knew about mass transit

Personal Rapid Transit (PRT, also called "podcars") is an inexpensive mass transit technology that borrows the best features of the automobile (on-demand, non-stop travel, from anywhere TO anywhere), but glides above traffic like a monorail. A fleet of small automated vehicles, each seating 3-6 people, will travel on overhead guideways linking many small stations scattered throughout an urban area. All points in a designated PRT service area would be close to a PRT station.

By being fast and convenient, PRT stands the best chance of reducing traffic congestion — especially in low to medium density U.S. cities, where buses and train systems tend to leave a lot to be desired.

by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommyInspired
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 4:04 PM

wow...

That looks so effecient. i would definately be on board of supporting hat in the US to reduce traffic congenstion.

Habichuela
by on Jun. 27, 2010 at 7:55 PM

Yea i too also think this is pretty cool, just wondering what would happen to those who work in the assembly lines making cars and those who work at the dept of motor vehicle and else where.. these people will loose their jobs because of technology.. but i still think this is pretty cool

dahlimamma
by Gold Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:44 PM

OH HOW I WOULD WELCOME IT!   I never appreciated the conveniency and efficiency of  NY Mass Transit system until I left NY.  Last week I was stuck for 1 hour on I-95 thanks to a huge accident that shut down 3 of the 4 lanes.  The transit system here is so unreliable. Even with buses and trains, it's still faster to drive from point A to point B.

sodapple
by Bronze Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 8:48 PM
i saw it too but didn't finish, i think it will be a great idea especially in crowded cities.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joqui
by Silver Member on Jun. 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM

that's pretty freaking awesome...

LexsMami
by Bronze Member on Jun. 28, 2010 at 1:31 AM

Cool! Why not.

Habichuela
by on Jun. 28, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I was just in Nyc last week and was very happy to catch the bus and the trains and even walk.. I drove in Nyc back in 2007 and had an anxiety attack.. gosh its just crazy driving up there.. In Florida the buses run every hour and start at about 530 and stop at 9 pm and take you only about 1/2 way to where you need to go.. I wouldnt mind sum PRT out here..

Quoting dahlimamma:

OH HOW I WOULD WELCOME IT!   I never appreciated the conveniency and efficiency of  NY Mass Transit system until I left NY.  Last week I was stuck for 1 hour on I-95 thanks to a huge accident that shut down 3 of the 4 lanes.  The transit system here is so unreliable. Even with buses and trains, it's still faster to drive from point A to point B.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)