Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stop Sitting on the Toilet !

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM
  • 4 Replies

How Sitting on the Toilet Messes With Our Health

In the words of the Boss, baby, we were born to squat...

Newser) – For the past 50 years or so, architects, proctologists, and wacky inventors have argued that the human body wasn't built to sit on toilets. The anti-porcelain throne contingent has long pushed the idea of squatting as the optimal defecation position—and though it may sound like quackery, research suggests they may be right, writes Daniel Lametti for Slate. While some of the more extreme benefits of squatting (prevents cancer!) haven't been proven, getting your bum off the toilet could help the 50% of Americans who have, at some point, suffered from hemorrhoids. So Lametti decided to test it out.

It comes down to geometry: Squatting straightens the 90-degree bend between the rectum and the anus, allowing for "complete evacuation" of the colon; using conventional toilets produces a less-desirable angle, meaning we may have to strain to, well, go. So each morning, Lametti squatted on his toilet, precariously holding on to a towel rack "pushing through the week—or, as it turned out, not pushing: Bowel movements just seem to happen in a squat. My 10-minute routine dropped to a minute, two at the most, and within a few days my knees stopped complaining." His experiment is up, but he'll try to again, though he doubts it'll become the next big craze. "Americans, now fatter than ever, are having trouble standing up from a sit, never mind a squat."

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
PRMommy86
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Im sorry but they better not remove my toilets! We used to live in Italy and most places the toiet was a hole on the floor! I for some reason have a problem with that lol. I mean I was little but I needed my mom to always help me with holding my pants and panties to the back or front because I would pee my clothes lol! Till this day I cannot go like this, if were fishing or camping or w.e. if theres no toillet Im holding it in lol!

FancyKnots
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:12 AM

LOL!!!  Maybe I should have tried it.  I ended up having colon surgery at the age of 35.   It is hereditary in my family, but maybe I could have prevented it. 

Fancy Knots Heirlooms & Gifts

Antiques, collectibles, fashion and custom, hand-crafted crochet gifts & apparel
http://www.fancyknots.com/

PRMommy86
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Oh and another thing its people using a toilet o sea sitting on one and they pee on the whole damn thing and floor imgaine if they have to squat over a hole! Ewwww!

Joqui
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:15 PM

I squat in public restrooms... I will not sit on a public restroom that's just me though BUT I will sit on my dang toilet at home!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)