Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the Secret?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM
  • 5 Replies

Ok, ladies, I need your help!  For the life of me, I cannot make yellow rice.  I don't want to use coloring or sazon because I know that there is a way to make yellow (or red) rice with tomato sauce.  My problem is that my rice always comes out too mushy. Sometimes it gets mushier after I add in beans, sofrito, chicken or anything else! I think that my water/tomato ratio is not right.  My white rice always comes out perfect! Help!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
PRMommy86
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:38 PM

I have no clue. I dont use tomatoe sauce because of that reason it makes the rice amogollao or well mushy. I use sazon con achiote and it gives it the color.

momma_814
by Zayra-Mexicana on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Oooh i'm not sure how to make it without sazon. I always use tomatoe sauce and sazon Goya con achiote. Mine always comes out fine. I always put double the water per cup of rice.Maybe that will help. 

Joqui
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM

I always use the sazon con achiote too... LOL

dahlimamma
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:59 PM
It's also important not to stir it after it starts to boil. Doing so makes the rice turn out like peanut butter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
karma729
by Karina-D.R. on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:20 PM

also this is the way i check so it doesn't have more water than it supposed to .  once i put the rice in the pot i give it a few stir and then i put the lado(cuchara or whatever is called lol ) in the middle if it doesn't stay straight then you have too much water.  take some of the water out and check again.  once it stays straight then just add from the water you took out like cup.move around and reduce the flame to medium if its too high the rice will dry up too quick and you will have graneo,(don't know how to say that in English) and if its too low then that's maybe the reason it gets mushy.  it works for me hope it works for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)