Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MAMAS LATINAS MAMAS LATINAS

Chipotle Chicken Tostadas (aka Tinga)

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM
  • 5 Replies

Kindly posted by:

• newmarchmommy
  • by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 11:59 PM
  • Chipotle Chicken Tostadas (aka Tinga)

Ingredients:

• 1/2 onion sliced (I do med slice so that they can easy be picked out by the picky eaters)
    • 1 can tomato sauce (small can)
    • 1 can of Chipotle sauce (small can) 
    • 2 chx bullion square or 2 tbsp if you use the powder. ( i use the pkg w/squares)
    • chx breast or legs & thighs (I use both but you can use just white meat if your prefer) this will be shredded.
    • 2tbsp dried Oregano (very important ingredient, do not skip!)

1. put chx in pot with enough water to cover ( the chx could be frozen it's just going to take longer for it to cook) add a few big slices of onion to the water, some whole garlic or you can use powder if you want and I use 1 square of chx bouillon in the water also.

2. Once the chx is cooked, let it cool and when it's cool enough to handle shred the chx. use your hands it's easier and faster.

3. while your chx is cooling down or cooking. use  a  deep skillet to the start sauce.
    you will use a minimal amount of cooking oil about 1-2tbsp. just enough to sauté the sliced onions. We want the onions to be soft (do not burn it will make it bitter) and translucent.

4. Once that's done, add the can of tomato sauce. I use the same can to pour water in the skillet so about 2 cans of water.

5. Next pour in the chipotle sauce, if you buy the can w/the whole chipotle pepper in the sauce be careful not to smash the pepper open while stirring unless you want it to be spicy. I leave them in until it's all cooked and done then I just pick them out and toss them.

6. Next add the Oregano, to the sauce and 1 chx bouillon square or 1 tbsp of powder bouillon.
    Let the sauce boil, bring it down to a light simmer and then add shredded chx, stir. 
     (you shouldn't have to add salt usually it's good on salt). 

NOTE: After all is done, if it's too dr,slowly add more water and let it simmer again. If it's to watery eehhh... you know for next time not to add to much water..lol. sorry best i got ;0) 

serve plain w/just chx and on top of tostadas, or you can use sour cream and shredded cheese. Brian (hubby)  has used shredded mozzarella but I usually try to have the Mexican cheese (Queso Fresco) it crumbles very easily.

by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Flaca43
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I'm going to try and make this for Cinco de Mayo Saturday. Hope I do it well!!

NADIA-R
by NADIA on May. 3, 2012 at 3:04 PM

A  mi esposo le encanta la tinga lo bueno que el la sabe preparar muy bien jijiji y planea aserla para este fin de semana.

MayraB123
by New Member on May. 3, 2012 at 6:17 PM
They are soo good:) i like making them spicy
RainyRain
by Reyna on May. 3, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Mmmmm Tinga!!!!!

RainyRain
by Reyna on May. 3, 2012 at 6:37 PM

How about some refreshing Horchata to go with the Tostadas de Tinga.

Horchata de Arroz (Rice Drink)

By: LatinaCook Supporting Member (Click to learn more about Supporting Membership)
"Refreshing rice drink with a hint of cinnamon. This version does not need to be boiled. Make a slush,if desired, by adding crushed ice. Enjoy!"
Prep Time:
15 Min
Ready In:
12 Hrs 15 Min
Original Recipe Yield 1 quart

Ingredients

• 1 cup uncooked long grain white rice
  • 3 1/2 cups cold water
  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. Place the rice in a bowl with enough water to cover it and let it soak overnight.
  2. Strain the rice and discard the water. Stir the cold water and evaporated milk together. Place the drained rice into a blender along with half of the diluted milk. Blend until the rice is finely ground, about 30 seconds. Add the sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla; blend well. Pour in the remaining diluted milk; blend.
  3. Line a strainer with two layers of cheesecloth. Place the strainer over another bowl to catch the liquid. Strain the rice milk through the cheesecloth, discard the solids. Repeat the process if necessary. Serve over ice.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN