Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

daughter n college?.....

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

So my 16 yr old is a Junior this year. She wants to go to college and be a Assistant to the Physician, she says it's higher than a nurse..idk... anyway, I told her she will need to apply for grants, or scholarships and last resort financial aid. She asked me if I was gonna help her financially I told her I can't. I make less than 20K a year. I told her I would help when I can, but not to except it from me.

She said her Dad will help, yeah right! gotta see that one!! But whatever...

I told her that I have done and am doing my job as a parent and feed, clothe, shelter her as needed. I belive college is good but a personal choice that one makes. But you know as a Hispanic person, college was never thought of specially when my family came from a small Ranchito from Mexico! LOL

She really made me feel bad....like if I didn't care or didn't want to help....

by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoastieWifePR
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM

wow.  if my daughter tells me that she wants to go to college  would support her in every aspect possible.  If I cant pay for her college (because I know for fact that some people just cant) then I would help her apply for financial assistance, grants, etc...  Also advice her to take on a part time job...

SkeDah628
by Sandra on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:55 PM
I have a few friends that have gone to college without the help of the parents. They've succeeded and graduated. Of course, now they are stuck with loans they have to pay off, but its all worth it bc now, even with the economy they have jobs. Help her as much as you can. She might not be grateful now but she will in the future. Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Joqui
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I plan on helping my kiddos with everything possible if they have the desire to go to college, I don't think I will push them if they don't want to go (that will be their choice) but if they DO want to go I will make it easier for them as best I can

lucky35
by Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:24 PM

When she applies to colleges she can apply for financial aid i'm sure as a single working mom making only $20K she will get financial aid.  My daughter got all her tuition paid for her first year so far by aid, and loans.  so don't frette it.   she'll get money. 

emore626
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 3:57 PM

Don't get me wrong I will try to help in every way possible!! Financially might not be my strong point, but I will try my hardest... and also help her in all the other areas I can...her sisters are next, so wish me luck!

Joqui
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:02 PM

good luck momma! she may have to get loans but loans are very very very low interest rate and she will be able to pay them back when she is fully through with school, and you already said you told her about grants and scholarships! I think she will be ok :)

Quoting emore626:

Don't get me wrong I will try to help in every way possible!! Financially might not be my strong point, but I will try my hardest... and also help her in all the other areas I can...her sisters are next, so wish me luck!

marlene992
by Marlene-Cubantina on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:05 PM

Quoting emore626:

Mamita the government helps with grants & financial aid for single parents. You still have time but she may want to start talking to her school counselor they will lead her in the right direction & go to the local library they have books on all kinds of grants they give students! Look into it! I'm sure if she's really really interested she will do it!

emore626
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 4:34 PM

Quoting marlene992:

Quoting emore626:

Mamita the government helps with grants & financial aid for single parents. You still have time but she may want to start talking to her school counselor they will lead her in the right direction & go to the local library they have books on all kinds of grants they give students! Look into it! I'm sure if she's really really interested she will do it!

I am married, do you think it will still work?

LuvmyFam6
by on Dec. 9, 2010 at 6:44 PM
I know how you feel I have 2 kids that will go to college back to back in 3 yrs. We are gonna try to help our kids financially as much as possible. My son plays sports and his coaches are pretty much saying my son will get a scholarship in football if he stays focused we are hoping that happens but that would be ideal. If not we are preparing ourselves to help pick up any gaps, I feel that we owe it to our children to get the education we couldn't at their age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emore626
by on Dec. 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM
I think that it's great that they want to continue their studies further, but my older one wants a private college, she won't even consider attending a local college for 2 yrs n then transferring to the private one. That would save a lot of money. My sophomore agrees with me. But we'll see what God has in store for us. I'm not gonna worry....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)